1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Cab Impulse Response Megathread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kombo, Jan 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Fellow TBers,

With the announcement of the AO-Ultra, I thought it might be a good idea to try to make a Cab IR megathread. Once I get my AOU, I might even review some of these. For now, I just wanted to start a baseline thread and see if many people contributed suggestions, and then go from there. Let me know what you think!

Bonsist, PJsaure, JulienP. and 2 others like this.
  2. Redwirez Big Box series.

I own the Ampeg 8x10 and use it with my recordings straight out of the MT900 or B7K Ultra depending on if I am feeling too lazy to setup the amp.

It sounds fantastic and has a huge range of options.

There is also an Aguilar DB115, Ampeg B15 and Hartke 4.5XL.

Red Wire Impulse Responses | BIGBox Series

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  3. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    One of my pals suggested this too. Definitely going to check it out.

4. Another is the OwnHammer IRs.

AMPG BASS - $29.99 : OwnHammer.com - Store

Unfortunately there are only two bass cabs:
    • Ampeg SVT-210AV bass cabinet
    • Ampeg SVT-410HLF bass cabinet
    The bass pack is quite pricey in comparison to the RedWirez.

Bonsist likes this.
  5. Bonsist and Brian Dupre like this.
  6. Bonsist likes this.
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'll be the first to jump in - the best IRs are going to be certified by the original cab makers.
    The cab makers know what their intent was when they designed the cabinet. They know if the IR is a good representation of the cab. They'd know which mic captures it - by reviewing and listening to the IR.

In a way, the IR is of the original makers Intellectual/Music Property. It's not always a big bad company that needs some respect of their property.

Little IR startups need to be able to make some money, but they need to be respectful of what they're making money from.

Bonsist and nbsipics like this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well shoot, I just started a thread over in Effects. shouldn't this be over there?? I know that it has to do with cab responses but we're loading them into a pedal.

I can't delete my thread now. Sucks they took away those few options for users.

9. Brian Dupre

Brian Dupre Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    I have the IR for their Ampeg 8x10 and use it with my Helix Rack sometimes. I think it sounds good, but don't have a real Ampeg to compare it against. I also have several of Celestion's guitar speaker IRs.
    3 Sigma Audio has some unique IRs that are meant to capture not speakers, but the sounds of specific guitars. Their strat and les paul tones are pretty convincing when running a bass into a good pitch shifter (in my case a H9) and then into an amp and cab sim.

Bonsist, Zbysek and gregmon79 like this.
  10. AciDBatH666

AciDBatH666 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Recently got a Helix lt so I'm interested in this. I'm on Mark Michel's Low End University and I asked him about his setup, he highlllllly recommended dishing out for redwire package.

11. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks for all the info!

Need this for V2 Darkglass units!

12. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Has anyone tried this one? If so can you post some comments please!

Red Wire Impulse Responses | BIGBox Series

Hartke 4.5XL • Hartke Aluminum 10s • Cabinet IR Library:Impulse responses of a Hartke 4.5XL with aluminum Hartke 10" speakers and a center-mounted 5" driver. The aluminum drivers give you a bright, punchy sound. We sampled the 10" speakers and the 5" high-end driver independently, so you can blend to taste.

Zipped archive available for immediate download contains 607 impulse responses each at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96Khz sampling rates, 16/24 bit, and Axe-Fx ready sysex files. See IR Matrix.

13. dr bonkers

dr bonkers Commercial User

Jul 4, 2016
    Paramus, NJ, USA
    Founder of Dr Bonkers Soundlab LLC, ir provider to audio modeler world
    If I can answer any questions, please PM me and I will do my best.

There are various demos that either users have posted, or I have posted, as well as user testimonials on my site. Also on TGP and the Fractal forums, users have talked about my files.

14. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    With the 3 Sigma IRs I thought I would get one IR. No, I got 5 different mic positions, 2 different mics, one alternative recording method and recorded at samling rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96. Which add up to 80 different versions.

Now I wonder, what recording sampling rate should one use in a Darkglass Ultra?

15. I use 48kHz which is what is stated in the manual.

Single user loadable cabinet simulation impulse response · 48 kHz, 16 bit internal processing
    · 1.6 ms latency
    · 88dB signal to noise ratio

bjelkeman likes this.
  16. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ah, there is a manual. I missed that. Great thanks.

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I just got a Two Notes Torpedo Cab and now I'm looking for IR's

Bonsist, dr bonkers and Hypercaffium like this.
  18. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Bonsist, JulienP. and Hypercaffium like this.
  19. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Just bought some Sigma IR's and they are really nice.

Bonsist, Hypercaffium and seamonkey like this.
  20. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I recently tried out the IK Multimedia Amp sims and 810E IR. I also tried out the Orange Rockerverb 50 and 412 rig.
    They sounded pretty good in the recording and the interface is easy to work with. I don't know enough about the real versions of these amps to say if they were dead on. The SVT rig sounded a tad muddy, and the Orange was a "cleaner" distortion than I was expecting.
    What I didn't like was their payment setup, which I'm still trying to figure out. The Amplitube 4 package is mostly guitar stuff, and I don't want to pay for virtual gear I'm not going to use on top of additional cost of the gear I do want. The Custom Shop allows you to buy just the pieces you want, but when I launch it in my DAW, it says I need to activate it, but there isn't an activation code. It isn't very clear.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021