1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cable Transport

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Jul 22, 2008.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Dumb question I am hoping someone can help me with.

The band I play with is 11 people, 4 horns, 4 vocals, with a decent size PA system, playing fairly often. For gigs we bring our own PA we have to take along a minimum of 16 30' mic cables, 8 30-50' speakon cables, plus 4 power strips and extension cords along with an appropriate number of extra in case of failure. Along with all of our amps, rack effects, cabinets and mixer.

At this point the cable thing is getting out of control we have 4 seperate rolling luggage cases for all this stuff. I'd like to consolidate it down to one decent size plastic rolling tool box type of an item. Where we can keep things seperated but also something we can stack in a truck and wheel into a gig.

I'm hoping some of you guys have an interesting solution. I've been searching the web and have been to Lowe's and Home Depot but nothing seems to fit our needs.

Thanks in advance.

2. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Thanks for those links. I looked at the Stanley box and unfortunately it is just wide open no way to seperate anything.

The last link with the 4 draws was really nice, maybe a little big for my needs.

Again thanks.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    You can always make dividers for the Stanley. Just make patterns from cardboard and off you go.

The more organized things get, the more space you need. You'd fill those drawers quickly (cables, mics, DIs, tools, .....).

Speaking of AC cables: http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/ACcables/ACcables.htm

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Consider colored tape at the ends of the cables, to identify the different cable types. That way, they can all be thrown into one big crate.

5. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
  6. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Thanks for all the help guys. I may go with the Stanley box we don't always have a pick up or van so a huge coffin box may be to much trouble.

Some nice links thanks.

7. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    We used to use cable reels like the one shown in the Thomann link. Those worked great, and you can get many different sizes, quality, price... from professional grade steel reels to hardware store plastic extension cord reels.
    http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/12-33-cord-reels.aspx

8. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    Cable/cord/wire reels from any hardware store work great for storing and transporting that many mic cables. Just plug em end to end and go.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021