Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cabs with high range.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    What's a good cab for amplifying the high strings of a Warr Guitar or Chapman Stick, or an ERB? I've been looking around, but it's not something most manufacturers advertise.

Thank you for the help.

EDIT: I don't mean high frequency, I mean a large range. I've heard the term "full range" before.

2. I'm no expert on those instruments, but since you aren't getting many responses, I'll put in my 2 cents.

I think what you probably are looking for is a full range cabinet without a typical bass cabinet tweeter. While I love the sound of a tweeter with a bass guitar, they can sound very harsh in the guitar tonal range, especially if you use a little distortion.

So, to me, that describes full range cabs with those 'soft dome' type tweeters that are a little more natural sounding and would probably sound great all the way up into 'guitar' range.... Acme and Accugroove are the two companies that come to mind.... very wide range from low to high with a 'natural sounding' treble response.

That's just a guess though!

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Thanks, I'll check those out.

4. Cool. I prefer the Accugrooves for that sound, since they are more efficient... more sound per watt, but the AcmeB210 is nice and small and reasonably priced... just takes a lot of watts to sound good.

If you don't need a ton of volume, the Accugroove Tri112 is very 'natural' sounding, and is light. The Whappo Jr. would be great IMO if you needed more volume.

5. Use an amp and cabinet made for synth. Preferably a three-way system. These are fullrange systems that respond equally to the whole spectrum without the irritating dips or tops at important frequency's as mentioned above.

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Well, the thing is, the instrument I intend to amplify is a Warr Guitar, and is stereo. So whatever I buy, I'll need two. Kind of shot myself in the foot with that one, but hey great tone's worth it.

7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    ...now that is a great idea!

8. +1... I believe the Accugrooves are pretty much that... three way cabs, etc.

Regarding the stereo thing.... a single three way cab with a head like the Epifani502 or Walter Woods Ultra or AI Focus II that have two channels each with full tone controls might still allow you to stay with a single cab.... or....

... if the treble side of the instrument goes through one channel and the bass through another, then all kinds of options open up.... a true 'guitar' amp for the treble range and a more standard bass cab for the bass side of the instrument.

However... a good three way cab like the Accugroove with a dual channel head like the the Focus II might get you where you need to go!

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I haven't been able to find any information about Walter Woods amps. I heard they don't have a website. Is this true?

10. This is true. Walter has such a good reputation that he has more orders than he can fill, so he has not had to advertise. The Ultra's are quite expensive (about $2,500), but they are very nice (I've owned various WW amps over about a 15 year period). However... the new Acoustic Image Focus heads are very nice, very powerful, and less than half the price of the Walter. They are a little more 'woody' and dark sounding than the Walter, and the tone controls are not very powerful, but they produce a very natural sound, and put out 800 watts into 4ohms... all in a 5 pound package! Also, for your situation, the AI Focus II two channel also has effects (i.e., reverb, etc.) which I assume would be useful for the type of instrument you have.

If you want Walter's number, PM me.

Ken

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I did a similar search for the right speaker for my Warr, that is, a bass cab w/o tweeter that still had good upper range performance. I ended up with a couple Bag End boxes with their 10s that go up to 6k. Sounded very nice, esp. w/ overdrive from my IOD.

I bet the Quests on discount at MF would sound great with a stereo Warr!

I know this isn't a instrument show off thread, but how bout a pic of the Warr??? :D

12. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I think the AI Coda is more or less what I'm looking for. It's 400 watts, portable, and stereo.

Thanks for helping me out!

(I'm still open to other suggestions, by the way.)

13. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I don't have it yet. :( But when I get it, this is the first place I'll go.

14. That's a nice little combo.... I don't think it's stereo though... it's mono but with two channel input... which is basically what I was talking about above (the Focus is just the higher power stand alone head version of that combo). It's also a nice three way cab with the soft dome type tweeter... so that would work nicely if you don't need a ton of volume. Cool and good luck! Fun thread!

15. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    ...I remember waitnig for my Warr.

...and waiting, and waiting...

It does help alot to know what kind of music/venue you might be using this rig with. Coffe shop/duo, or rock band, ect.

If you don't mind me asking, what flavor of Warr did you order?? woods, setup? It will help me remenisce. (sp?)

16. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I haven't ordered it yet, actually. I'm really having a tough time deciding on what tuning to get it in. The standard tuning, or uncrossed fourths.

17. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Ahhh...

It's strange, but you'd think the uncrossed tuning would work really well coming from bass guitar, but I found that it feels unnatural to both hands. The one peeve I had about standard tuning though, is my near inability to play the low melody string without touching/muting the low bass string next to it. The Phalanx has more space, and indeed the regular Warr Artist may have more gap in the middle that the other instrument with which I had this particualr difficulty, admittedly the only real difficulty I had in the design of that instrument.

18. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    In that case, I think I'll just go with the standard tuning. Thanks! I suppose I ought to tell you I'll be getting an ADG and not a real Warr...I don't have $5000 to spend on an instrument right now, but I intend to get one eventually. I just said Warr because more people know it.

19. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    As a distortion player, I'm very interested in this thread. But a soft dome tweeter is not an option.

FYI the Acme 10's only play up to 1K without a tweeter.

Thanks for the tip coyoteboy!