1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Cali76 CBC confessions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Feb 25, 2021.

1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Do you have a good enough ear that you can tell much of a difference when you use the HPF control or set the Att/Rel? I don't. Ooo, I think the Ratio needs a little tweak. Maybe I just need a compressor with a single "Compress" knob.

J_Bass likes this.
  2. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    Not me. Simpler is better for me when it comes to compressors.

3. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Does it exist?

That would be great for me.

4. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Hmm, yeah, I definitely hear the differences of each parameter.

You really can't hear the difference of Att/Rel from full CCW to full CW? That's quite a change in what it does too your dynamics envelope.

halech54 and friend33 like this.
  5. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    The Rothwell Love Squeeze is a great choice for a one knob (not counting the output level knob), transparent, quiet compressor.

warrplayer and J_Bass like this.
  6. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Full changes, sure, but the nuanced changes? nah

7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    In that case, get the Empress Bass Compressor and let the wonderful metering system help you see just what that tweak of a dial did.

8. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    Currently on TB, all compressor threads can ultimately be about Empress....

OP, if you can hear the full change at the extremes, isn't that enough to help you dial in what you want? Of course, simpler comps are, by definition, simpler. The single A/R knob as opposed to separate controls is already a step in that direction.

LaklandLaksNADA likes this.
  9. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Well, this was worth watching, at least until the point where the reverb was turned on. Good description of the interaction of the controls, when to use what. I only wish they would mention what approximate frequencies are on the HPF, but I guess just turn until you like. My biggest problem right now is that I'm only playing at home. The neighbors are pretty good about not complaining about me playing bass, and I keep the volume reasonable. At lower volumes compression is less of an issue and the differences are more subtle. I've simplified my pedalboard to the point that I now only have a TurboTuner -> Cali76 CB -> Noble DI. Will be adding a micro Thumpinator, should be here this week. (I'm counting on you USPS.) I like the simplicity, but figure I really should master the Cali76 since that's the most complicated piece of gear on the board. Ok, it's from the UK, so I'll call it the most complicated piece of "kit".

LaklandLaksNADA likes this.
  10. LED Meter on a compressor is the best thing ever.

11. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    A needle meter would be kinda cool too, in a retro way.

db59 likes this.
  12. friend33

friend33 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I think Ivan’s vid is good at getting a handle on the Cali76 CB.

awj03130 and LaklandLaksNADA like this.
  13. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    The frequencies filtered out of the sidechain are 20Hz (most filtered) to 350Hz (least filtered). Turning the HPF control clockwise reduces the amount of these frequencies that trigger the compressor, making them relatively louder than frequencies above 350Hz.

14. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    I’m in the market for a compressor & I’ve narrowed it down to either the Empress or Cali76. Still undecided on which to purchase.

Bassist30 and LaklandLaksNADA like this.
  15. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Probably can't go wrong with either. Read my reviews of both to help you decide based on your needs/wants/features: https://compressorpedalreviews.com

Afc70 likes this.
  16. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Had some time to play around today with at least a little bit of volume (sorry neighbors). Here's my new strategy: 1) turn the dry all the way down 2) set the compression to where you like the tone, use big turns and then hone in on the more nuanced changed similar to an eye exam. Do you like 1 or 2, 1 ... or ... 2. Then when I get to not hearing any difference, split the difference. Now, dial in the dry to taste. I don't really try to set the volume to parity with the bypassed sound. There are some gooderer (sic) tones when things are turned up with some gain.

Robbie J likes this.
  17. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Literally the most complex bass compressor on the market. It may only have one knob on the front, but it’s a digital multiband compressor under the hood that when hooked up to the Toneprint Editor application allows you to tweak every parameter without training wheels.

JKos likes this.
  18. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I played around with the compressor in the TC Plethora and it doesn’t sound as good as the Empress or Hyper Luminal. I haven’t used the Cali yet.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  19. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I can't vouch for the Plethora. But as for the standalone SpectraComp, unfortunately, how good it sounds is largely a matter of operator skill. If you don't know how to properly program a multiband digital compressor, you are not going to be very likely to get as good a sound out of it as you will get from a compressor which has had most of its parametres chosen for you by someone else.

My SpectraComp sounds great with my custom toneprint. If all you ever do is use the downloadable toneprints, you'll never be able to access the full potential of the unit.

The Cali76 Compact Bass, by the way, has a *minimum* compression ratio of about 5:1, which is an odd choice, to say the least. 5:1 is a fairly high ratio, and compressors really should always have the ability to go all the way down to 1:1 (no compression).

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021