1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cali76 CBC confessions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RichSnyder, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Strings, not frequencies. The lower strings will have less higher frequencies, so will compress less. The higher strings have more higher frequencies, so will compress more.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  2. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    My goodness....

The HPF is interested in frequencies.

Read the quote before that one.

"the compression ratio effectively becomes frequency dependent"

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  3. Then why are you quoting the manual comparing low vs high strings?

4. revd

revd

Apr 11, 2020
    The manual is flipping between the use of string and frequency. Same same.

And why am I quoting the manual? To stop folks posting stuff that's not accurate.

5. It’s not the same, because the manual is talking about how much 2 separate sounds get compressed, based on which note is played. The discussion is about how much different frequencies in a single note gets compressed.

6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I sent a request to Origin Effects to clarify. Will post the reply when it arrives.

7. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    False. There is only one output from the detector and that signal is used to reduce the gain of the full spectrum. This is NOT a multiband compressor.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  8. Or do the actual dual band thing. I use a KMA Tyler to split lows and highs to two different compressors. Heavily compressed and consistent low end, and lightly compressed and dynamic high end.

Im also waiting on a Source Audio Ultrawave that should hopefully do the same in a smaller and cheaper package.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I just don't need the dual band compression flexibility.

Derek Williams likes this.
  10. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Reply from Cali76 was essentially a copy and paste from the manual. I didn't get the feeling the support person knows what a sidechain is. Well, I tried.

11. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Nice choice mine will be here soon.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Lots of people getting confused about the sidechain HPF vs. a multi-band compressor (or a narrow band compressor).

*It DOES* compress the lows with the rest of the signal. It's just that the lows don't trigger the compression. As someone who uses this with plenty of present low end in my signal, it works as advertised.

13. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Where's Einstein when we need him?

14. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I may stick with the CB, everything fits on a nano pedalboard and it sound killer. Why gamble with success?

BurningSkies, friend33 and Bassist30 like this.
  15. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Using it on the pedalboard its best. The TX is rather big. But it fits my needs.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    It really is a great compressor.

friend33 and halech54 like this.
  17. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    I really like it hitting the front end of the Noble hard. Or maybe I’m falling into the trap of louder always sounds better.

BurningSkies and Derek Williams like this.
  18. I think compressors make great boosts into preamps or distortions. It’s one of those cases where it’s not just louder, it changes the sound as well.

BurningSkies likes this.
  19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I use mine in front of tube preamps too...mostly my Monique, but also my Kern IP-777. I really like juicing the output on the Cali...find where unity is then go a bit further...you can find a place where it feels like 'feedback' in the way that when you're in front of a loud amp you can get it to sustain infinitely, and it's huge.

We have some song transitions in our live set which hold and swell into the next song and the Cali does it perfectly. I also use a John K. built LA-2A clone in my signal chain after the CB. No tube in that, but the circuit is correct and I've got plenty of tubes in my preamps. It ends up with the classic 1176->LA2A studio signal chain. There's some low-mid punch and richness that the LA2A circuit does.

RichSnyder, kranahan and davelowell2 like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021