1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can a mustang or musicmaster be converted to 34" scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by myke.nytemare, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Just wondering if (besides bridge placement) a Mustang Bass or Musicmaster Bass could be used with a full scale neck? Is the pocket not wide/deep enough? Is there not enough extra material to be able to make a 34" neck fit without compromising the integrity of the joint and resonance/sound?

Want to make a very light "Fender" bass and was considering a P shape unless I can use something lighter and even more unique.

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    If you didn't want to move the bridge (edit: you can't really move it anyway, as the bridge on the Mustang is pretty much butted up against the end of the body), then the neck would have to have a few extra frets to put the nut the right distance away.

As for the neck pocket, I wanna say it's not the right size, because I remember the neck on the Mustang being smaller than standard even at the heel, but I could definitely be wrong.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    youll need a custom neck for it... and probably youll need to replace the uper strap button to somewhere like the neck plate to avoid neck dive.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Is a Mustang body lighter than a Precision?

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Yeah, and it's smaller too.

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    The neck dive could be alleviated by moving the lower strap button further up the body.
    Moving the upper strap button to the neck plate would cause even more neck dive.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Trade it in on a new Jaguar Bass. You won't regret it.

TD

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That wouldn't work; the frets must be further apart on a longer scale bass. Put another way, the extra frets would have to be at the headstock end of the neck.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Have you tried that before telling me it would get more neck dive???

10. I already have played a jaguar and like it but have purchased a Jaguar Bass neck and now want to find the perfect (and hopefully lightweight) body to bolt it to for my custom bass.

I guess this means I will have to get a hollowbody or dinky bass for weight reduction!

11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Simmer down!

The further from the headstock your connection point gets the more neck-heavy the instrument gets.

Have two aspirin and call back tomorrow.

12. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    A 21-fret 34" scale neck leaves a shade over 10" from the last fret to the bridge. A 19-fret 30" scale bridge does also. So it definitely can be done without moving the bridge.

But the Mustang has a Strat-sized neck pocket, it's 2 3/16" wide at the neck pocket while a long scale Fender is 2 1/2". I don't know of any aftermarket long scale necks that would fit, so you'd have to have one custom made.

13. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    You might try warmoth for either a Dinky P or a hollow J body (they don't make a hollow P, unfortunately). And go for a lighter wood like swamp ash.

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Well its a shame einstein died i have this anti-phisics guitar he should have seen....

15. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Sounds cool! Have any pics to share?

16. slimorfat

slimorfat

Nov 7, 2007
    Yeah yeah! Show it to us :)

17. Guitars have 6 tiny tuners and a short light neck. If you attached a weight further out there, you'd get it to dive. Since the necks are so light, a heavier body combats neck dive much easier. I had a B.C. Rich Mockingbird guitar that felt decent. The Mockingbird basses I tried were nothin' but neck dive.