can ampeg micro vr heads fit inside fliptop cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bon viesta, Aug 25, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    for the 1% of people around here who have an ampeg fliptop and that little tiny head, can a micro vr head fit inside the cabinet?? and not damage anything, of course. and for those that just know the dimensions of b15 cabinets really well (21x21x24 for my needs, but the wood thickness is the most important factor) would a 12 inch wide, 5.5 inch tall, 10 inches deep little rectangle fit inside those cabinets?

2. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    Just to confirm, did you mean 21x21x14? Those are the basic dimensions of the vintage double- and single-baffle cabinets. The 12" width wouldn't be a problem and I think the 5.5" might be okay, although I'd need to check a clearance cabinet I have here to be sure. The main problem is the 10" depth, since the cabinet opening is only a little over 8.5". The new Portaflex tube heads (PF-20T & PF-50T) can be made to work by increasing the cabinet depth to 16" and increasing the depth of the cabinet opening. Those heads are listed as 10.5" deep so I would expect the 10" deep micro vr to fit as well. That would still leave the 5.5" height as a question mark. I don't have enough info on the later B15 cabinets to say if they would work or not.

Bass Jones and bon viesta like this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm not sure, if this is a practical solution.
    Why not mount it on the back of the cab with the front facing upwards? This way the amp is not visble for the audience as well, but jacks and controls remain accesible, you will have no problem with heat dissipation, you don't have to mess with the cab and you can change the amp if needed...

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I guess I misread the question with the 'butt-ugly' amps still in my mind, so you may ignore this post...

5. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    wow. wrong dimensions on my part… yikes. thank you for seeing through that!

6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    do you think a “b15s” cabinet would be better suited for holding 10 inches of depth?? i’ll look really quick to see the lid dimensions on fliptops but i know that cabinet is larger.

7. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    haha i have a reputation on this forum it seems :roflmao:

8. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    and it seems the cabinet for b15s is 23.8 x 26 x 15.6, so a bit larger than it’s normal “b15n” counterpart.

Attached Files:

9. Or at least a daily thread for us…
    3466183B-92D1-4571-9FCD-6FB54E796AC9.gif

10. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    you should be watching your sodium intake considering all the popcorn you’ve been consuming these past few weeks :laugh:

BOOG, TheReceder and StereoPlayer like this.
  11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Bass Jones likes this.
  12. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    Keep in mind on the Micro VR if you remove the rubber feet on the head , that's a half inch saving in height . Then just mount it directly to B 15 lid .

bon viesta likes this.
  13. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    that was the plan! and the b15s actually doesn’t even have a tray, i believe the original amp was just fixed to the lid.

14. you would be correct.
    I opened up a Ampeg B-15 Heritage from 2010 number 20 0f 50 made recently and that how it was mount.
    I'll try to find the picture of it, Its talkbass after all.

bon viesta likes this.
  15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Sometimes the path less-traveled is an interesting journey, but it's mostly just potholes, weeds and snake bites.

Bass Jones, BOOG, Matthias and 3 others like this.
  16. ficelles

ficelles Inactive

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    The PF-50t and PF-20t fit into the modern PF-115HE and PF-210HE cabs with no modification needed (I used to have a PF-50t in a PF-115HE) but I believe what you say is correct for older versions of those cabs, no idea.

Worth remembering that the PF heads are deeper at the back than the front, which works neatly with the speaker being wider at the front than the back. Maybe Ampeg did it that way on purpose.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  17. b-15 open top cab.jpg b-15.jpg back.jpg 20-pt2.jpg b-15 and MIMj azz.jpg

MattZilla and bon viesta like this.
  18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    No. Yes. No. Try it anyway.

MattZilla likes this.
  19. Bass Jones

Bass Jones Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Austin, Texas
    bon viesta and MattZilla like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022