1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can anybody recommend a good sleep aid?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Sep 28, 2008.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Can anybody recommend a good, non-addictive sleep aid? I've tried Tylenol PM which works pretty well, but it makes me feel shaky and makes my heart beat fast.

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    There is a herb called valerian. It works fairly well.

Also, the old 'one man tango'.

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    FenderHutz recommended a Melatonin supplement to me. It's all natural and you can find it at WalMart or most normal stores. It works fantastically. Brings on a strong sense of sleepiness, keeps you sleeping through the night, and you wake up with a clear head unlike other sleep aids.

Check it out, it's worked really well for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

4. a girl

5. I also take melatonin. That stuff works great! The only odd thing about it is that my dreams have become much more detailed and intense like some sort of action movie, which isn't necessarly a downside.

6. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    +1 on melatonin

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    marawhata?

8. ibuprofen.Take 4 and it will knock you out.

9. blueskid

blueskid

Sep 11, 2006
    washington, dc
    kava kava is another good one

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Kava's good if you want crazy dreams, and it's good for de-stressing, but I haven't found it to actually help me sleep. Valerian, melatonin, and skullcap work well if you figure out the right dose for your body weight, and (IME) take it a couple hours before bedtime. What I actually reach for though, if I really need to go to sleep, is a Benadryl. Puts me out and keeps me out. I think all of those "can be" addictive if you have an addictive tendency, but for most folks occasional (not regular or frequent) use is not addictive.

11. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    the safeway brand allergy pills. they know me off my off for a good while. take 2.

or the good old jack daniels. I usual jusdt pound a few beers and call it good

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    +1 to the Bongo.

If you have the time, exercise and meditation seem to work really well. Its not a short time fix as it takes time to learn but clarity of mind and getting rid of anxiety really help.

Age is a factor too. I remember in my 40's starting to have trouble sleeping. With two teenage sons, increasing expenses and more pressure at work I thought it was just a life stage thing. Did some research and it turns out to be a common aging factor. I started reading, waxing my car and practicing bass at 3:00 AM for a couple of years.

13. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    There's a lot of variables going on, with this proposition.

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Melatonin is great, take a pill like 30 minutes before going to bed.

Exercise is the best sleep aid, exhaustion is the key!

Reading an interesting book before going to sleep will help too.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Alcohol.

16. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    also, +1 to this.

but, my previous endorsement teamed with this one tend to make it hard to sleep, for me atleast. Last night I layed in bed for 2 hours thinking about popcorn and the nights activities...

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In terms of substances, I like valerian root. It was more effective for me than malatonin. I prefer the Pharmassure brand, which is carried at Rite Aid.

Exercise and meditation help enormously too. But, strange as this sounds, I'm usually too lazy for meditation -- it's just too much effort to shut up and sit there!

Alcohol destroys a good night's sleep for me, which is one reason I barely touch it.

18. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    personally i dont engage in my advice, but alcohol, she does the trick.

19. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Wankinol.
    Smithsonian or Yankee Magazine.

20. gizmobltd

gizmobltd

Jun 25, 2007
    Scranton
    Advil PM anyone?