1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I bypass the sub crossover?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Brick Top, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I have a crappy set of subs for our PA...and the one stopped working. The Driver feels fine. Since I already have and rackmount crossover unit...can I just connect the jack plate directly to the driver?

2. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Without a crossover you're going to get a lot of upper bass and mids out of the driver that will overpower the low end. In other words, it won't sound like a sub! You won't hurt anything, but don't expect good performance

3. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    But the signal will be going through my rackmount crossover with a adjustble subout before it goes to the amplifier to the sub.

Won't that take care of the upper frequencies?

4. Hi.

Yes You can. Just label the cab that doesn't have the cross-over clearly.

BTW, having two cross-overs, active and passive I'd guess in series does not improve things anyway.

Regards
    Sam

5. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Thanks. I plan on disconnecting the crossover from the other sub as well.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    oh, you mean internal passive crossovers in the subs themselves?

yeah, bypass that junk and use the active one to send only what the sub should get to the sub amps. (be sure to hook the drivers up to the jacks in the right polarity).

7. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    It shouldn't make a difference, should it? I mean, you're sending say 100hz on down to the sub. The crossover will either further restrict down to 90hz or let everything (the 100hz on down signal) through.

The only case in which something will work that didn't before is if the wiring is currently broken.

8. Depending on what you're playing you might be in need of high pass to stop uber low frequency (eg 30Hz off a 5string) from playing hell with your subs.

9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good point. The dbx stuff has a built-in / defeatable 40 hx HPF, not sure about the other brands. Check the manual or let us know what external xover you're using.

Edit: Almost forgot...if these are passive subs, your power amp(s) may have selectable and/or defeatable HPF's. The QSC RMS series, for example, gives the user a choice of 30 or 50 hz.

Riis

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the sub-sonic rumble filter is indeed important, but i doubt any built-in passive sub crossover would have that anyway.

11. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Better to lose the internal crossover. For Sure. They just get hot, and eat watts.