Can I change the string configuration on the SRH505/SRH505F?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassgoboom, Aug 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bassgoboom

Bassgoboom

Aug 4, 2020
    Hi yall,

I was wondering if I could change the string from Low B E A D G to E A D G High C instead? I know there are only Piezo pickups on the bass so I thought maybe you can't since the pickups are probably tuned perfectly for each string.. But I really have no idea if this is how it works. Would it technically work but sound like crap? Let me know what you all think on the matter.

Thanks!

2. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Yes you can.

Sounds wonderful with TI Jazz Flats E-C.

IMG_20200804_233333.jpg

3. Bassgoboom

Bassgoboom

Aug 4, 2020
    Thanks a lot! I guess I have no choice but to buy mine now! This was the only concern holding me back

J_Bass likes this.
  4. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    In the back of the bass you will find blue screws. One for each string. That adjusts the volume of each string separately.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The SR Aerium are wonderful sounding bass. The only piezo pickup configuration turns out as the essential element which work nicely with their chambered bodies. I usually despised the treble strings on a bass which sound twangy, but certainly not on my SRH505. The G string sounds nicely thick and woody, despite I've changed the factory standard strings from 45-65-80-100-132 to lighter gauge D'Addario Chromes 40-55-75-95-132.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if it sound good with a high-C.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Worst thing that can happen is you may need to back off the truss rod a small amount if the tension is much different. Maybe not. But do it.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yup, I'm with the crowd. No reason at all you can't do it. Might require some adjustments like the truss rod, action, and piezo pickup balance, but all are easily done.

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I'd say maybe not. Cause, the low-B is pretty much the lowest tension string compared to the others.

We could learn SR Aeriums stock D'Addario Chromes 0.132 low-B tension data from pdf chart file avaialble on D'Addario website, but unfortunately it doesn't say anything about Chrome 0.32 high-C (it is available and I myself have used it on other bass). If we would borrow the tension data from XL Nickels or ProSteels as proxies, both model data shown the low-B's are lower tension than their respective high-C, despite only small amount of differences. So, most likely changing from factory strings with a low-B to a high-C wouldn't require backing off the truss rod.

But yes, certainly OP should do the string change without any doubt.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021