1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I get some love for the cheap basses!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmastertim, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Bassmastertim

Bassmastertim

Mar 15, 2009
    I see alot of threads on this board about "look at the cool new (insert boutique name here) that I just picked up!". Come on people, lets show some love to the starter packs, the pawn shop specials, the basses you started with but cant seem to let go of.

Here, I'll start.

PeaveyGrind.jpg

Peavey Grind 4.

I love this thing. I got it for 250 in a pawn shop about 4 years ago and has been my go to bass ever since.

Or this one...

S7301783.jpg

I still have no clue who made this thing, but I dont care.
    Ugly as homemade sin and heavier than a lovecraft novel, This thing drops low enough to make panties vibrate.

I know you guys have a favorite cheap bass.

Lets show'em off!

2. IM000234.jpg
    IM000238.jpg
    1969 Gibson EB-0
    used at Guitar Center for $400
    its beat up (tons of mojo, naturally relic'd), the bridge and 2 of the tuners are not original. they said something was wrong with the pickup. i could hear something rattling around in there, and it was getting really quiet and really loud when i played it in the store, but it sounded GREAT when it wasnt doing that. i took a gamble and bought it. took it home, noticed the screws holding down the pickup cover looked a little off. i went to take them out, and 3 of the 4 of them were totally stripped. i put new screws in, and the rattling/quietness/loudness stopped. haven't had an issue since. it is my favorite bass. uncanny tone.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  3. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    wow what a deal and what a bass! i love me some EB-0s. something about that single humbuckers screams "i am a badass" its so rugged and haggard. its like the charles bronson of basses

Muddslide likes this.
  4. My main bass is an OLP MM3 stingray copy. Got it from a friend for free ... put about 250 bucks into it (new pickup, replaced a broken tuning peg, repainted it, and some other odds and ends) and it sounds and plays awesome.

2009-09-21154710.jpg

5. neat it looks like a Chinese Ergodyne

6. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Here's a new acquistion
    DSCN0372.jpg

No recent pictures, but after reading a lot of threads about how good Peavey's are and how cheaply they can be purchased, I went looking.

Found this in a pawnshop listed at $99.00. Got it for $75. Neck had never been adjusted, nicks and dings all over the back of the neck and string height and intonation miles off. Couple of minor nicks in the paint.

Adjusted the neck, spent a lot of time with lacquer and CA filling the dings and nicks in the neck, had some frets reset. Having a hard time putting it down now. The neck is thin (jazz) and fast and it plays beautifully.

Put some Dean Markley stainless steel strings on it, but will be going to flats at some point for the classic P-bass sound.

Next up...strip the body and refinish it in something other than black and replacement of the pots. They work fine, I just don't like the feel of them as they turn.

It would be my main bass if it were a five. That's saying something as my main right now is a G&L Tribute L2500...and I REALLY like that bass too.

7. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    Mine.

SL730112.jpg

1- Somebody else's failed project - '58 p copy.
    I bought it off Craigslist as a box of parts for 50 bucks.
    (btw- this one no longer exists. Wood failed at the bridge
    so I parted it and build another.)

2-1st bass. Hamer Slammer ( p-copy). $120 at a pawn shop.
    My #1 go to for what I play (gospel). I've put flats on it and
    run it thru a Acoustic B100. yummy!

3-Peavy Patriot (late '70s early '80s). 3rd bass. Neck was bowed. Pup loose. Truss rod rattling. I first saw this one priced at $250.00 in a pawn shop. Eventually I got it for $60.00 and spent about 8 hrs. fixing and setting it up. Plays like a dream and the super ferrite pup is sweet.

4-Washburn B10 ( '80s) Came from an antique/junk shop. BUTT UGLY green and a failed scarf joint on the neck ... $25.00. The active electronics and other parts were worth that!
    Fixed it myself, gave it the '80s correct paint. That thing would make the pope boogie!
    It's now dark mettalic red .... EVH paint isn't to appropo fopr church. lol

5-A homemade bass using redoak, poplar and a cigar box. Might as well be an upright when played with a piezo. But I (stoopidy) put a jazz pup in it and lost the sound.

Here is a pic of the 2 cigar box basses. The black one came from the parts from the sea foam green '58 copy.

SL730889-1.jpg

Matt

8. I have 3 that I would put into the cheepie range that I really love.

First is my early 80's SQ numbered Squier Bullet, full scale.
    It plays like a dream and sounds like thunder, all for under $300.

9. Next would be my nicely aged, 80's Hondo P bass. It came from the factory with Grover tuners and string thru bridge. For those that might not know, Hondo Dimarzio clone pickups sound better than the real deal, IMHO.

I added the abalone pickguard and mammoth ivory tugbar.

It plays great, build quality is awesome, it has a nicely grained maple board and I couldn't give it away on the for sale boards..........so I'd consider it a cheepie :)

10. Last is my Electra. This bass is the 18v active version. I rebuilt the electronics and had a friend paint the body using a "weathered" treatment he does on hot rods. I made the checkered pickguard. Basically, it's a P bass on steriods and plays like a dream. Cost.........basically time invested, a few pots, caps and solder.

11. well ive never spent more than £180 on a bass and i own 6 of them

DSCI0039.jpg

all pawn shop wonders or gifts

12. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    s_mcsleazy: that thunderbird is flippin SWEET!!!!!

13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    All of my sub-$300 basses are currently in multiple pieces, scattered around my house, waiting for me to re-finish them.

14. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    hey bassmastertim i am almost 100% sure that that second bass you posted is a repainted Ibanez Ergodyne.

15. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    100_4754-1.jpg

My SX 5er

100_2454.jpg

And my modified Yamaha fretless. they're both cheap but excellent basses that are very reliable and worth keeping.

16. the_evil_monk

the_evil_monk

Dec 18, 2008
    Olathe, KS
    OOoooh...lovin the cigar box basses...my daughter and I are starting on our first one of those!

17. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    What do you do when you get a gig playing bass for an 80s cover band? Here's my answer:

4367020598_b579b66679.jpg

Dean Custom Zone bass: $160 used; they're only $200 brand new. Needed a little attention to the nut slots and I replaced the stock pickups with some Barts I had on hand, but it has a great neck, sounds nice and punchy/growly, and it practically glows under stage lights!

B-Mac likes this.
  18. jluria

jluria

Oct 9, 2009
    Just to spread the love for cheap basses. I have a Squier P-Bass, bought it new for a little less than $200. It is super clean, low action, no buzz, well balanced, stays in tune, and sounds great through any amp. I have a very similar American Vintage '57 Reissue P-bass which lists for about 10x as much as the Squier. The Squier is essentially just as good! If it weren't for the label, it would be very hard to tell which is the more expensive bass. Don't underestimate the Squier!!!!

19. Peavey Foundation $40 yup... put some new tuners, strings, knobs on her. She smelled like cat piss & smoke when I got her. Cleaned the **** out of her. I thought the bridge was rusted. Qtips & rubbing alcohol made it shine like new. Spent years trying to find another bass that sounded as good as her. Finally did, it is the one in the front.
    : )

[​IMG]

20. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    ok many of you know my story. i traded my VM jazz for a 5-er (squier deluxe active V). but now i dont own a 4-string. well my bro is going to s. africa to gig in 2 weeks. he asked if he could borrow by brand-new squier. i said "no". wish i hadnt traded the vm jazz! :bawl: stupid stupid stupid!

so last fri i went to the local guitar shop & played this little gem. loved it, especially for the price ($189). today i ended up going back with him & splitting it with my bro-he paid half & i paid half. so now i co-own this bass with my bro (he's my identical twin & next door neighbor as well). love this bass. it feels awesome, sounds awesome, & very, very light!

24577_10150123117580093_725575092_1.gif

24577_10150123117570093_725575092_1.gif

24577_10150123059595093_725575092_1.gif

24577_10150123059590093_725575092_1.gif

24577_10150123054510093_725575092_1.gif

24577_10150123054490093_725575092_1.gif

24577_10150123037395093_725575092_1.gif

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020