1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I ground pickups to the Blend Pot connectors ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fedexnman, Jul 21, 2012.

1. fedexnman

fedexnman

Feb 2, 2010
    Long Post sorry . Just got the LH3 preamp and 2 split coil pickups from Lakland/Hanson . For a 44-01 . The pickups instead of having 2 separate wires, only has one shielded copper wire(strands) and one bare wire (non copper strands) incased together in insulation ( like 1 wire ) , just like an acoustic guitar piezo pickup . So basically its kinda cramped where to ground the pickups. WEIRD!! No seperate white or black wire !!!?? I know the copper wire is hot and the other ground . Now to the blend pot . There are 6 connectors on the blend pot the 2 in the middle are hot and 2 diagonal outer are to the volume pot and the other 2 diagonal are to the system ground . So, I know I solder the 2 hot pickup wires to the middle 2 . Seeing the one wire situation, can I solder the 2 pickup ground wires to the 2 ground connectors on the blend pots , would that work????

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's called coaxial, or shielded cable. It's quieter than just two insulated wires.

Yes, that will work. You can also attached another piece of wire to the shield to make it easier to work with.

Be careful to not over heat the braided part or it will melt the hot wire's insulator.

3. fedexnman

fedexnman

Feb 2, 2010
    Thanks , its been awhile since I soldered and looked at a wiring diagram . I guess I was 2nd guessing myself .