1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can my Peavey Basic 112 could hold it's own?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BackstagePlus, Jan 20, 2012.

1. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    :confused:Got a bit of a fix here. I have a rehersal with my first band next week and I was wondering if it would hold it's own vs a hard hitter drummer, guitarist with a 5150, anouther guitarist with a Marshall Ministack, and a singer with a crummy PA. I don't want to go and embarrass myself as I want to start off on the right foot. I play boomy bass, use fingers/no pick, passive Squier P bass, and the room is a finished basement. The guy at guitar center told me that I'd blow the amp up, but I know they want me to buy their stuff, classic salesman tactic, but I don't know if he was telling the truth.:confused:

2. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    opps

3. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    I forgot to mention that I didn't blow it up, I wanted to know if it would. Sorry for confusion.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you put it on a stand about five feet high and stand directly in front of it no more than three feet away you'll hear it over the others. As for them hearing you, not going to happen.

5. Nope, it won't be loud enough. I tried mine once at a classic rock band rehearsal and it got lost in the noise.

The Basic 112 is 60 watts into a 12 inch speaker. Ok for bedroom practice or a soft setting like maybe a coffeehouse gig but in a rock band, nope.

The amp itself probably wouldn't blow up, the speaker might give out if you crank the amp up all the way in a desparate attempt to be heard.

6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    That’s exactly what I did at a rehearsal with the very same amp. Had to get it up in the air and cut the bass down, but we got through ok. The amp takes abuse very well.

7. zenman

zenman

Jan 30, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I use mine for rehearsals all the time and it works just fine. Granted, I'm not playing in a loud rock band and we rehearse at reasonable levels. Even played a backyard party with it one time. We also ran a DI signal that day, but I was very surprised how well the amp performed. At the end of the day though it is only 50-60 watts into a single 12 and you won't win any loudness wars against a 5150 and/or a loud drummer.

8. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    So a with couple of milk crates and crossing my fingers I might stand a chance?

9. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Er, I mean to hear myself?
    Ok, so a probably no for others to hear me... How about bringing in my stereo, playing through the input, and through EPI M180 speakers? The handle 100 watts per channel. More info is that it is an old school Marantz 2272b, a 72 watt per channel. (Lucky me someone threw it out because the tuner lights don't work)

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Completely depends on the drummer.

I've been rehearsing in a studio with a 50 watt peavey combo. Pretty sure it's a 12" speaker. I was completely astounded that it was cutting through, and cut through well. We got a new drummer last week. My happy days are gone. Need to use a different amp.

11. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Not sure where you're located, but if you're near Raleigh, you can borrow my TNT130 for your rehearsal. It's no powerhouse, but it's portable and has enough balls to compete a bit better against the other stuff in the basement. You'd be surprised how loud this thing can get.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    OP, the point of a profile is to allow other members to know something about you. The glib location you entered stops kind offers such as Ack's from happening. As it is the only clue is that you mention GC.

13. If I was competing with a 5150 halfstack, I would be embarrassed by anything that wasn't atleast 300 watts. People that play those amps, tend to be the ones that crank it to 11. IME, YMMV.

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have one I use with two guitars a keyboard and a drummer and it has worked ... these are pretty tough little guys, and a pretty conservative output rating ... I raise it on a chair, cut the bass to 2 if not all the way off, low mids slight bump at 7, high mids flat about 6, high bumped to about 8 .. pre can tend to get dirty if over 12:00, so I keep it there and use the Master as my volume control, usually about 6 or 7 ... I play passive J's, with every full on ... the object here is to cut and be heard, not capture optimal tone, and increasing EQ knobs can also increase volume, however too much high mid can make it rather 'honky', and I usually work with low mids, and try to capture clarity with the Highs if I need more ... as mentioned above, it depends almost completely on the drummer ... and this being 'rehearsal', hopefully he can be reigned in enough for all to hear the clarity of what is being played so that everyone can evaluate what is being played constructively .... also, it helps to set up in a bit of a circle ... bottom line, if you cant make this amp work for rehearsal in a BASEMENT, you all need to turn down ... JMHO

15. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    yeah, joe, I am embarrassed, as I am the poor guy who has the combo, but when I used to play guitar, my Peavey Backstage Plus (Yes I got my user name from that) I could be heard with the post on 10 and using pre as a volume (usually on about 4) and it was only 35 watts SS, but it was also guitar, bass is different, and I guess my 112 will have to hold on for dear life while I save up for a bigger amp. As for Paul and Ack, I appreciate kind offerings but I can't accept, as I have nothing to return the favor. Tjh's idea hopefully helps.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    My brother, in my case at least, when I do something like Ack offered I don't want anything in return. Karma is Karma and what goes around, comes around.

17. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    No favor return wanted - if you are close you can borrow it.
    Otherwise, best of luck on the rehearsal.
    Let us know how it goes...like it was mentioned earlier, perhaps everyone can meet at a suitable volume and then see where you're at.

18. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    The best of luck is good enough, I'm happy there's still people out there that are nice out there, but I'm one of those people that hate to rely on others, it makes me feel like a burden. After all is said and done, I'll get back and let you know how it went.

19. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Oh, I just realize that there are 2 kinds of basic 112s, mine is the older one with chrome trim, not the red trim, if that makes any difference.

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    doesnt matter much, one is 50 watts, one is 60 or so I think ... mine is the one with the sealed cab containing the Sheffield ... I actually think there are probably several that are quite similar, just playing scrabble with the name ... Basic 60, etc, etc ... just turn them down, its rehearsal, not sound check or perfomance ... :)