Can Someone Recommend Me A Jazz Song.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Demonator, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    I have been planning on joining the military for five years now, already put in four years of J.R.O.T.C and I'm ready to go. This year I got into band and Music Theory aswell to try and propel my knowledge of music for when I go to college to attempt and major in music composition. Two days ago while on GoArmy.com I saw an add for military band, and looked at it. I can play bass in the military band. Its a dream come true. Problem is, I need to audition. I chose Jazz as my genre to audition in. Now I just need a Jazz piece and all the tips and help I can get. Please help. This means a lot. I have nowhere else to turn. You guys never steered me wrong before.

Thank You.

Anthony Jordan.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    You need a Jazz Real Fake Book, do you have one? This forum has some tips one walking on chords. Take a look around the forum or somebody will tip you to it. The one song that comes to mind is "Take the A Train" , I once saw the Army Big Band do it. They were great!!. Other songs that come to mind are Satin Doll, All the things you are and maybe a moderate Blues in B-Flat....................Good Luck :cool:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    lol..what were the other choices for genre?

there are a ton of them, but who knows which one to pick out for you without knowing your skill level or reading level or any of that? i guess if you want to do something simple, there's stuff like all the things you are or all of me or something similar. but jazz isn't like you just wake up one day and start playing it convincingly. got to immerse yourself in it and get a feel for it. and the armed forces are an excellent place to learn it from what those i know who have done it tell me.

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Do NOT go to the recruiter with this! They mean well, but you need to go to the specific Army Band that's looking for a bassist and audition for it. They will give you a letter that says that you are accepted into the band and THEN you take it to the recruiter. This is on authority from a friend who is career Air Force Music-he's in the Country Band at The Air Force Academy.
    If you go to the recruiter first, God knows where you'll end up. If you sign your enlistment contract and then don't pass the audition, you could end up an MP in the Green Zone in Baghdad-a totally different challenge than you might wish for....
    I have a friend who's a retired Army bandsman and former instructor at the Army School of Music in DC-I'll see what he knows about tunes.
    Easy does it....

5. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    I gotta say that military band gigs seem pretty sweet. I once had the pleasure of participating in a master class with the Airmen of Note (Air Force's top jazz ensemble). All they had to do was go to basic and every once in a while brush up on their shootin' skillz i think. KILLER band too. One of the best things I've heard.

6. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    I can't understand the logic of purposely trying out for something in a field you know nothing about (Jazz), assuming that you know absolutely nothing about it anyway.

7. Jazz? Really? which part? Swing, Cool, BeBop, modern, acid, ...?

If you are going to the AF audition you need to prove that you can READ. Study up on sight reading. Use the simple walking bass but know how to do fusion as well. Can you use the acoustic as well as the electric? Can you do rock? Country? can you solo? What do you know about the groove for each particular style of music.

When I passed the Army band audition 90% was sight-reading and the rest was theory and showing a bit of what I could do. I had to prove that I could read in a performance situation (just in case right?).

Get a swing chart (Basie/Ellington), a Cool chart (Miles Davis), west coast jazz (Dave Brubeck), something bop (Charlie Parker) ... mostly, in my humble opinion, learn your theory and read, read, read, read...

8. DO NOT go in there with a Jazz 101 tune! Forget A Train, Autumn Leaves, Ipanema, All Blues, Blue Bossa, etc.. unless you are brilliant and can make something out of them that will floor the board. No Donna Lee and no Spain, either. I would stay away from the real book tunes (unless you can play through something on the level of Joy Spring or Da'ahoud), and try something else from another source, Like 500 tunes the real book missed. Try Gerry Mulligan's stuff, for instance. Maybe some jazz tune that quotes some classical.

I have played gigs with some AF big band band guys and they were hot when they went in, like straight out of North Texas into the AF, and scary hot when they were in the band. They will be looking for "clean" and excellent time. Be prepared to sight read, and be able to handle slap slab bass and upright, too. Be up on your reading, able to read both clefs and maybe do some sight transposing, too. A good thing to do is quote some of a well known solo in your solo- enough of one to let the board catch on to what you did. For instance, if you do "Da'ahoud, begin your solo the way Clifford did, then take it from there. You need to be able to knock them over in the first four bars of your prepared piece. One other thing- try to find out if the principle trumpet player is there. He may not be the lead player, but, in reality, he is the guy that leads the big band. Play to him. The conductor is just there for show.. :)

9. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Screw that, can you play the tuba as well as the bass? That will get you into an armed forces band.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If you want to be a tuba player, sure.

Upright is the double for electric bassists in military bands.

Good advice in this thread. I've served in service bands for over 22 years now (Army and Air Force). Feel free to shoot me any questions.

I have to ask, though, since it's been a long time since I was in the Army....they let you pick a genre? And the obvious follow on, you picked one and you don't even know a tune?

:eyebrow: really?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sure, how hard could it be?:p

12. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Here's a thought-Just from reading your OP it sounds like you're not quite ready. A lot of players in the Military bands go to Music School first and then audition for the bands. They generally place higher in the bands and the service will pay off a lot of their student loans. The maximum age for audition and enlistment is 34, so you'd have plenty of time to find a good school and get things more solid.
    I know there's a good program in Louisville and of course we've got a good one down here.
    Best of luck :)

13. Hoover

Hoover Inactive

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Even in the Navy?

14. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    According to the site, you can audition in Jazz, Funk, Salsa, R & B and thats it. You prepare a piece for them and pray you get in. They said to see your recruiter about setting a audition date. I chose Jazz because I play a little Jazz, not a whole lot but more than Salsa, R & B and Funk. I do not know any pieces because Im not sure of what to play.

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Navy dropped the tuba doubling requirement about 15 years ago.

16. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Call the band at Fort Campbell, and talk to someone directly. I also HIGHLY recommend asking if you can do this BEFORE you talk to a recruiter. You'll still have to work with one, but recruiters (a) don't know a lot about the bands, and (b) have their own agendas.

edit: As I suspected, you misread the information. See below:

You absolutely cannot be a one-trick pony.

17. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Man, you are a life saver. I totally over looked that. So would you advise maybe getting a book on music theory for bass? (if it exists) I already talked to my band director he gave me some advice. Im not completely new to Jazz but Im by no means an expert. I appreciate all of your help. I'm going to try and go to Radcliff KY, to visit Ft. Knox and maybe speak to the current bass chair holder, and ask what he did and how he prepared. Just to get help first hand. Thanks again.

18. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yeah, if you're closer to Ft Knox, by all means. Call them, and they'll probably be pretty responsive to helping you out.

19. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    One more quick question. How do I contact Ft. Knox? I went to the site (the individual Ft. Knox site) and did not see a thing about band. I went to a military band "main page" and requested a info pack on bass. I'm very excited. Also next paycheck I'm going to my local music store and buying a jazz method book. That should help.

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There should be a main number for the base. Ask for a visitor's center or something like that. They should be able to give you the number for the band.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021