Can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trod, Jan 14, 2006.

1. I received a cab that got damaged in sgipping. One of the speakers magnets seperated from the casket and got some small parts of the magnet broken off . Can this be repaired?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    wow, that looks pretty rough! what kinda cab? original speakers?

I'd find out what the other speakers are and try to buy a new one...match with identical model if possible.
  3. Better yet, replaced by the shipper who did the damage!! Don't even bother asking whether it can be repaired, go to the shipper and get some recompense!!

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    looks like you (or the shipper) need to send the speaker to the manufacturer (that kinda looks like a bag end 1x10 with a coax tweeter) to get reconed/fixed/replaced. not something you are able to fix yourself i'm afraid. :meh:
  6. yes it's a bag end 10" co-ax , I dont think it was the shipper fault. It was packed decently . This happened becasue the cabinet was dropped hard and the co-ax speaker has double magnets which make it very heavy at the back causing it to snap off from the jolt. The cabinet itself is not damaged at all, nor the other speakers.
  7. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    I had the same thing happen to a 15 in a cab that UPS must have air dropped from from a plane instead of bringing by truck.

Of course almost anything can be fixed, but as the maker of the speaker told me, you'll need an industrial strenght magnetizer/demagnetizer, and a calibrated mounting machine to recenter the magnet on the frame. Then you'll still need to recone if the coil was damaged in the mishap. Far more expensive to do all that than just replace it.

The magnet on the 15 was so strong that it would grab the frame with such force that it nearly crushed my finger which was between the two. I guess with a 10 you could try to just recenter it yourself, and epoxy it on, but even if by miracle it works at first it won't work for long after it starts vibrating or gets moved around.

you'll need to replace it.
  8. Ha! yes exactly , it must have been dropped really hard because I had another cab like this shipped with no problems.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i haven't had any personal experience, but the bag end dealer local to me always said that they were really good with repairs. it's going to be your best bet to contact them and get an idea of how to go about it.

i'm surprised that the item broke the way it did, but it's not impossible. Normally BE gets top marks for construction and durability even from people who don't like the way they sound. unfortunately, that particular driver is about twice as expensive as the other 3 in the cab due to the coax. If it's as screwed up as it seems, you may have to replace it entirely. If you already have another coax cab, you might want to consider bypassing the crossover and replacign the 10 with another non coax driver to save $$$
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm no expert on the legal side of these things, but packing it nicely doesn't guarantee safe passage, nor does it entitle them to throw it in and out of trucks recklessly. They have a duty of care to deliver the goods undamaged, so I strongly suggest you call and complain.
  11. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Actually, the fact that it was packed decently shows that it clearly WAS the fault of the shipping company! The better the packing, the bigger the thud before things come apart . . . it just shows that the shipper was even more of an ape than you thought. Sometimes, I think UPS could break an anvil . . . . . .

- Tim
  12. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    I was just checking back, and realized that I should probably add that we (the person that shipped the cab & I ) did contact the shipping company (UPS), and after a little paper work and a phone call they paid for replacing the speaker with no real hassle.

This was without really questioning how well it was packed. I got a quote for the cost of the replacement, but the shipper ws the one who had to do most of the work with UPS, and he was the one they paid for the replacement. He then just sent me the money. UPS did ask to take the old one, which was pretty much useless to me, except just for the novelty of having it around. It was a BIG magnet
  13. Excellent. Occasionally justice actually occurs :)
  14. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    ohh Ive seen some damage come from shipping did you have the cab insured while shipping? also not to be starting anything if your more towards the south and got a union worker taking it off the truck thats what happened honestly we get like 9 10 packages back monthly totally mangled including MANY cutom one off products that I made come back in horrible condition take it to the shipper have it reimbursed for repairs and you should be fine
  15. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    On boxes over 70lbs UPS employees are instructed to roll the box not pick it up. Its cheaper to pay claims for damaged contents than workers comp for back injuries.
  16. How about using a hand-truck instead? On a modern cabinet, replacing a speaker's no big deal, but what would happen if the did this with a vintage Porta-bass combo or svt? Yes, you can still replace the speaker, but it won't sound right.