1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can YOU cop this tone? (Warning, Metal content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CarlosRoberto5, Jul 7, 2012.

1. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    Hello all,
    I've been listening to a lot of metal lately and have recently stumbled upon a band called Monuments. One of the things I particularly like about this band is the presence of the bass in the mix, and the tone that this bassist is getting from his instrument.
    Here are a few examples of the tone that I am referring to:

Now, from the videos, I've gathered that the bassist, Adam Swan, is playing a Lakland Jazz. I don't know too much about Lakland basses, but it looks like a 55-60. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'm not sure what equipment he would be playing through. It sounds he's playing with a pick, at least in the recording.
    What I find most interesting is that he makes this jazz bass sound more like a MusicMan than anything else (IMO)...the only other bassist I've heard accomplish this is Juan Alderete from the Mars Volta.
    I've always thought of Jazz basses as being kind of a one trick pony when it comes to the sound that they produce, so it was really surprising to hear this jazz sound so different.

My question is this: what would you guys guess this bassist's rig consists of? Better yet, can YOU cop this tone?
    What kind of equipment would you use to get close to this sound? If you guys would be generous enough to provide sound clips of yourselves playing with this kind of sound, that'd be great. I'm anxious to hear feedback.
    Thanks in advance!

2. A jazz bass is far from a one trick pony, imo...it's a really scooped, clean, modern tone though(in the second video at around 1:41), shouldn't be too hard to cop with the right EQ'ing, not sure of what other effects he could be using though

3. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I agree it definitely sounds like a Musicman.....not familiar with Laklands or jazz bass.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The tone comes from his dreds, better get on it ;)

5. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    Dangit. My male pattern baldness means I wont ever get that tone, then.

6. I like the fact you have warn people on Talkbass there will be Metal in a thread. Carry on.

Charlzm and DarkAvianFind like this.
  7. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    I figured I'd warn people so that this thread attracts only those who are interested. Hopefully it works!

Charlzm likes this.
  8. Sharknose79

Sharknose79 UNPAID greenboy/fEARful endorser

Sep 15, 2011
    South Cackalacky
    I have nothing to disclose at this time.
    It's called mojo.
    His bass has TONS of it....

whistling.

9. Shizzle Gits

Shizzle Gits Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sure you can cop it. I can cop that tone with a P-bass. Just need to do the right eq'ing. Exactly what to do depends on the bass, the amp, and your style of course. I would attempt to boost something in the 200-300 range. Then I would do the same in the 800-1200 range. I would also add some 4-6k. I would probably have to cut in the 125-165 range and the 350-650 range to clean things up a bit and add more emphasis to the ranges I boosted.

monodark likes this.
  10. You should've said metalcore warning... Anyway, as for your question, probably.

11. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with all of the EQ frequencies, but this sounds like great information.
    It'd be awesome if you could record something applying this technique, though! :D

12. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    Anyone else have any ideas? Or better yet, soundclips? :D

13. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Learning frequencies and how that effects the tone that comes out of your amp and speakers is an incredibly useful tool. It helps you quickly fix your EQ for bad rooms, dial in a familiar tone across almost all amps, and have a better idea of what to expect on an unfamiliar amp if you know it's EQ centers.

If you have an opportunity to, play around with a good EQ and see how each frequency changes your tone. It'll help you cop other guys tones too.

I don't have any good headphones and my laptop's speakers aren't the best so I can't comment on the tone. I'd probably have given you an answer in hertz anyways ;)

14. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Sounds like onboard preamp treble dimed and loose strings. Clicky tone likes KoRn

15. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    I get the feeling that the bass is passive since it only has three knobs (there's a shot of the Lakland in the second video, if you pause at the right time, you can see the three knobs), but if it's not then I can imagine your idea being plausible.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I used to have a parametric graphic EQ in one of my old combo amps, but I never memorized any of the frequencies that I was cutting or boosting.

16. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    Anyone have any rig ideas?

17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nice. Good solid upfront bass tone. For rig, Id diff be looking at a more hifi type one like Eden or MarkBass etc.

18. CarlosRoberto5

CarlosRoberto5

Aug 9, 2011
    Texas
    That's interesting that you mention those two. I would've figured the Eden too clean and the MarkBass too warm, but I've never played Eden or Markbass stuff in a band environment. Thanks for the opinion!

19. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like you might try boosting your mids and maybe rolling the bass down a touch. The main part here is a real heavy attack. Try imitating articulation as much or maybe more than exact eq.

20. Markbass is normally very mid heavy and cuts through the mix just brutally. They do sound pretty bland if played without a band, do not let this impression turn you away if you are into a mid present bass tone. Some of their amps have a filter that turns the trademark midrange tone into a scooped sound, i think it's called VLF/VPN Filter or something like that. One turns the sound more vintage (damp and wooly) and the other scoops the sound, just like the contour filter on the GKs.

That would have been my best bet on that sound, a GK1001. It can get very clicky and still maintain beastly lows. Most of their other Amps have too much growl for that type of sound.

monodark likes this.