Can you tell the difference between a Rickenbacker and a Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Darkness = Precision, Robin Hood = Rickenbacker

80 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Darkness = Rickenbacker, Robin Hood = Precision

102 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. I honestly cannot tell the difference

19 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. This sloppy_phil guy is a complete moron; it's obvious they were both recorded with CARROTS!!!

48 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    :D that's what threw me off....

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Well, glad I could get you into some reggae for a moment, even if it's not your favourite!

It's funny, I didn't specifically set out when recording to try and make my basses sound the same; in fact I was a little nervous about bringing the Ric out to this band once I got it; figured it would be way too Prog or something. But it worked, and when we finished with the songs, I was pretty surprised by how similar the basses sounded.

And that would be a neat project to try out. Could be tough to arrange, but the results would be pretty cool I expect.

Yeah, this whole thread was a really roundabout way of me trying to make this same point. I figured just saying it didn't avail me enough; had to go to the hard evidence!

3. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    On a side note, I'm really happy this thread has generated some thoughtful discussion!

4. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I have also owned both for many years and got it wrong. Honestly, I'm shocked I was quite sure I was right.

Just goes to show, the tone is in the fingers.

5. Porkbun

Porkbun

Mar 10, 2010
    Stamford, CT
    I say #1 is the Rick. Ive only owned knockoffs, and heard recordings, but I dont think Rics but neither of them sounded like as bassy as Robin Hood
    $.02

6. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Haha...knew it! The ole bulk lumber bass with a natural finish. Everyone should know that sound.

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    You must have cheated. You must have manipulated the recording. You must have really messed up electronics in the Ric. No, wait, you have really messed up electronics in the P. And your DI must have somehow greatly colored the tone. And, um, let's see... Oh, yeah, computer clips are all greatly compressed so they all sound the same anyway.

Either that or the two basses sound pretty similar when you play them. But, of course, we don't want to believe that. ;)

CONSPIRACY!!!! :D :D :D

8. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    SHHHH!!!! Dude... you're totally blowing my cover

:bag::ninja:<- my ninja lookout assassin. Don't let him see you, or it will already be too late

9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    This should always be getting a +1, so, uh....

+1

10. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I haven't read the answer yet. I'm not as familiar with the Ric sound as I guess I should be - never had or played one. I'm sticking with this assessment because Robin Hood sounds more hollow, and I always thought that was a characteristic of Rics.... I'm playing the bass line to Eight Days A Week in my head to prove I'm right....

I've got a 50/50 chance of being right....

YES!!!!!! :bassist::bassist::bassist:

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I voted "I can't tell". I realized that while I *wanted* Darkness to be the precision, I couldn't say for sure. The tone on Robin Hood was thinner in some way. SonicFrog may be more correct in calling it hollow.

Anyway, I am glad that Darkness was the precision.

12. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    No I mean my n00b-to-bass ears didn't get the question right :D

Of course the only bass I have any experience listening to and knowing what it is is my Yamaha, so I can't feel TOO bad about it...

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Upon listening to the examples, I thought the second one was the Ric. Seems I was correct.

They were both big and fat, but the second one had a deep hollowness to it that I tend to associate with Rics when played on both pickups or just on the neck pickup with the tone rolled off.

14. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Yeah, lol - it's not like you ever see a poll that asks:

"ok, there are two clips here, in one I'm playing finger style near the neck, and in the other I'm slapping the $&@& out of the bass. Let's see who can really tell the difference"

Tone is in the fingers

15. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    You do realize I now have this driving urge to build one of these!!!

16. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    the original thread that bass got posted in was a pretty interesting and enlightening read. something about a jazz bass vs the scrapwood bass; really crazy!

I should have another mix of Robin Hood done on Saturday; we have to get that and one other song fully mastered still. Went in today to touch up the mix, and we pumped the bass and kick drum up a bit; everybody agreed the tune needed a little more thump! Also altered the amp/DI blend to favour the amp, and it's got more of the cabinet's high-end roll off going on now, too.

17. hardrocker8

hardrocker8

Oct 26, 2011
    i knew it was carrots from the second i haerd it

18. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I guessed right. Its pretty easy to tell the rick nasily snarl tone in any band setting... I really want a rick haha.

19. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
  20. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I got it right... the P with its characteristic mid-range and the Ric with its usual deep sound (misleading song titles!). Were you running the neck pickup by itself? Both really cool tones by the way! I hope you keep using both basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021