Can you tell the difference between a Rickenbacker and a Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Darkness = Precision, Robin Hood = Rickenbacker

80 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Darkness = Rickenbacker, Robin Hood = Precision

102 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. I honestly cannot tell the difference

19 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. This sloppy_phil guy is a complete moron; it's obvious they were both recorded with CARROTS!!!

48 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Damn. Missed it.

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    how so? unless you got spoiled, the poll is still open...

3. tspallone

tspallone

Oct 13, 2011
    Nanuet, NY
    Got it. I can pic a Rick out of anything! I think.... Good stuff!

4. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Darkness was classic P tone.

I suspect you had a light touch on the Ric though. Their sound really shines when you dig in.

5. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I got it correct! The "give away" there was when you disclosed and used different strings. I've tried La Bella and I currently use GHS flats - I know the difference between both all thanks to month of pouring money testing different strings. Now, if you used the same strings for both, I might have had some difficulty discerning the difference... "might." :smug:

6. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I agree that's where the 'Ric' sound comes in, but to be fair, I was playing it pretty heavy handed as well; during the verses I was being a bit lighter, but otherwise, I was doin' my thang how I always do :cool:

fair enough; the more I listen to it, the more I'm starting to hear the sound differentials of the strings. I guess I haven't spent enough time truly experimenting with different string metals, as I have trouble noticing those discrepancies with the tone controls rolled off completely (with the controls set open, the differences are pretty clear!).

7. Wow, I'm really surprised. I really like both bass tones.. Another listen with some decent headphones, I can tell the Rick by the clearness of the bass runs. It's probably how they are mixed, but man that P really cuts compared to the Rick.

Really cool tracks by the way, nice playing, keyboard solo thing was interesting too.

8. econnofoot

econnofoot

Nov 24, 2006
    south carolina
    woot I was right!

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    As has been said, use same strings, on same day, on same song. Then balance levels.

FWIW, I got it right, and I like Robin Hood better. My only complaint is occasional vocal issues, especially on backup vocals in Darkness. However, it is cool stuff. Keep it up!!!

10. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    damn I knew it was a trap!!!!! :D

11. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
    You guys are going to be really mad when you find out both tunes were actually played on this bass:

[​IMG]

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Cool. Fun. I love Soundcloud.

13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    is that the greatsch do biddley model? The tape is rad.

14. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    That was a bass from the blind test conducted a bit a ago.

15. Howzit

Howzit

Aug 23, 2011
    Pella, IA
    My original guess what correct but I voted "I honestly cannot tell the difference" as it was a guess.

...love Robin Hood BTW!

16. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I guessed correctly, but it's not as easy as most might think.
    For me it was the P's more pronounced low end harmonics that gave it away.
    I only listened about half way on each song.

Cool tunes, though!

17. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I much preferred the bass sound on the first clip.

I'm thinking that the Ric with stainless rounds must have a fair amount of inherent growl and detail. Perhaps you could rework the mix on the second song for a more upfront presentation?

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I voted for the first song as a precision and the second one as a Ric.
    Had to listen to each a couple of times. Observations - First, your playing is excellent, really good groove going! Second, both songs are very good pro quality tunes (not much into regge but still very good) do a cover of red wine:). Third, you did an excellent job of taking two very different sounding basses and made them sound very similar, like I said I had to listen to each recording a couple of time before I felt confident about voting. The first recording really captured the growl and grit and hi mid range of a typical Ric but sounded fuller and deeper than the second recording. The second one sounded just a growly and gritty but was slightly more tinny or thin and focused, kinda the same sound I'd expect from a Dano or Bronco, no real boomy tone like the precision is so capable of doing. So that's how I voted song one = precision; song 2 (robinhood) = Ric.
    So now you've proven that you can get a very good Ric type tone from a P bass - impressive, whodathunk! I'd be equally impressed if you could lay down a bass line recording where you get the Ric to sound like a P bass.
    Maybe that should be the challenge of the month - someone provide a solo bass track of a specific bass sounding like that bass is stereotypically expected to sound then see how close everyone else can get to it with completely different basses (without using effects). It'd be interesting to see how flexible some basses and bass players really are, I bet we'd all be very surprised at the results. Can you get a fretless stingray with an ebony board or a Ric with SS strings or a Dingwall with tape wounds or a Squier P bass with flats to sound like a fretted Jazz with round wounds? could get interesting.

19. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Hard to tell, can't hear the bass in second track.

20. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I got it right, but then I've owned and recorded with both basses over the years.

I still smile to myself whenever I read someone put either a P or a Ric in a box.

They both are quite versatile and can each have a wide range of attitude depending on how they are played.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021