Can you tell the difference between a Rickenbacker and a Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Darkness = Precision, Robin Hood = Rickenbacker

80 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Darkness = Rickenbacker, Robin Hood = Precision

102 vote(s)
    41.0%
  3. I honestly cannot tell the difference

19 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. This sloppy_phil guy is a complete moron; it's obvious they were both recorded with CARROTS!!!

48 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I picked Darkness = P-bass because I play a P-bass and that sound is familiar. I never played a Rick and I couldn't quite figure out what Robin Hood sounded like.

Nice Reggae grooves Brah!!

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Thanks, brah! Wanna go down to the bar, knock back some pitchers, and then have a bro-down, brah? Yeah, buddy!

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    LOL!! Might not be too many up-to-date SP watchers on here, brah! LMAO!!

4. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    True enough. Unfortunately, you've now killed my excuse for getting that Ric 4003 I've been wanting!

Ah, who am I kidding? As long as I keep the LaBella flats on my P, I can probably convince myself that I really DO need a Ric... :D

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

You don't need one. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't want one. Just try one out and if you like it, buy it. If it doesn't end up working out, you can probably resell it for close to what you bought it for.

6. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Even with a wet blanket over it (I.e. the tone rolled all the way off), the Ric still had a growl to it that the P bass did not have.

7. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    well, as Sartori said, it's not a matter of need. But although I get them to sound similar here, a P is not a Ric, which in turn is not a P. If you want it bad enough, and can afford it, get one!

I think that was because the DI was turned up more there compared to the amp. I swear, that Ampeg does some amazing things to any bass; roll the tone off and crank up some bass freqs, and you've got instant dub city! Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me in the newer mix I posted the growl is less apparent. The amp is turned up more now compared to the DI.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me the Ric growl, but I like that it can handle the reggae job too

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021