Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cancer 1....My pop 0

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Feb 1, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My dad has been hiding something from me. He went in for exploratory surgery today. The doctor was looking for cancer in his bladder. Yep, he found it. My dad called and told me. This is the second worst day of my life. There are more tests to be done to determine the course of treatment and how long my dad will live. :bawl:

If you are offended by people who get on soapboxes and preach about not smoking, leave now........Right now I am filled with anger, confusion, deep sadness, and other things. I hate the guy who invented cigarettes....I hate the people who make cigarettes.....I hate people who sell cigarettes....I hate the person who introduced my dad to cigarettes. I hate them all. I hate the fact that some stupid piece of paper with leaves in it is going to strike down and kill my father. I hate the fact that my dad has tried several times to quit, only to go back a month or so later.

For the love of God.....if you smoke.......

STOP

NOW

Don't turn into my dad. This is horrible. So many people love my dad, and now he is going to die at the hands of some stupid cigarette.

Thanks for reading. I'll be leaning on my TB buddies alot over the next few days and weeks. Sure I have my fleshly family, but you guys/gals are important to me too.

-Mike

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, I feel for you. My dad smokes. He has been for many years, and I hate it. I wish he would quit...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wow, I hate hearing stuff like this, I hope he has been found out early enough.

and for the record, I finally quit the cancer sticks in late 2001. The center of my world and my best friend lost both her grandfathers to Esophageal cancer.... both life long pack a dayers. It took 6 years for her to get me to quit.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It's shame about your father. PM me if you need someone to talk to.

Peace,
    Adam

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I am sorry dude, it really sucks but don’t give up so easy.

Cancer has not won yet, your father may beat it, there is a chance and having mindset that cancer already won should be stopped. Your pops probably needs you now and you won’t be able to help if you think it’s over.

I totally agree with you on quitting! I really wish people I know and love would stop as well (including both of my parents). I am so glad that it was easy for me to quit I hope others who want to quit will be able to do it as easy.

Good luck man, I really hope that your pops beats it and goes on, be there for him dude and I am sure most of us will be there for you...

I am sorry if I came across as a jerk, I didn’t mean to do that. Remeber though, as of today its still 0-0

Love dude.

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Sorry to hear that Mike. I lost my dad in 1986 to CPOD at age 58. He had smoked since he was 16.

I wish you strength, patience and hope. I encourage you to spend time with your father and make it happy time, avoid being gloomy if you can. Don't waste it being bitter and angry about things you can't change now. Enjoy him while you can.

You and your father are in my prayers.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dude...how can I be mad at someone with a Gene Frenkle video as his avatar. :D

I see what you're saying. Maybe I won't be so mad in the morning. Hate and anger have pretty much taken over right now.

-Mike

8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Sorry dude, I know how it is. My dad has a lymphatic cancer.

9. I'm sorry Mike :( I've been through one bout of cancer with my father and some other just as nasty or nastier illnesses as well. I know the feeling, and there's only so much that can be said. Try to hang in there.

John

10. I lost my grandpa whom i never met due to cigs. They are horrid in every way I support your train of thought on them. This is a terrible thing to have happened but as kserg said don't let your dad feel he has lost already. The human mind is a powerful thing and if he believes he can beat it it is possible. Be there for him and reassure him he can beat this and outlive any who says otherwise. My prayers for you and your family.

-Vince

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hey Mike, real sorry to hear about that. I was devastated when I heard my sister got lymphatic cancer about 13 years back, but she beat it and she's doing just fine. Like serg said, it's still 0-0 at the moment, keep on hoping.

Bill

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Prayers to you and your Dad MJ. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 13, so I know how you feel.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sorry to hear that. All strength to you and your dad.

14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I lost my Dad almost exactly a year ago. My thoughts are with you. Tell him to fight hard.

15. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Best of luck to you, your father, and the rest of your family.

16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm sorry to hear about your Pop. My prayers go out to you and yours.:(

Smoking is the WORST. I finally quit 6 mo. ago after years of trying. Still no guarantee, but hopefully I'll add a few years.

Hang in there!

17. I understand how you feel Mike. I also lost my Dad to cancer when he was just 52. He had been a pipe smoker all his days. I am so pleased that in Scotland come March 26th smoking is going to be banned in ALL public places. My sons are also delighted as they hate gigging in venues where you can cut the smoke cloud with a knife. Passive smoking is just not fair. No-one is taking away anyones liberties by saying that they can't smoke - just don't do it where I can breathe in the poison.

All the best Mike - I'll be thinking of you and your Dad.

18. I'm sorry to hear that, Mike - we're all here for you.

19. Sorry to hear this Mike, be strong for his sake, and remember you have a huge support system here,

You and your dad are in my thoughts and prayers

John

20. my gran is in hospital with a suspected brain tumour atm... :\

sorry to hear MJ, keep your head up.