1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can't tell if my horn is working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ghost Signal, Oct 2, 2013.

1. I just bought a used Mesa/Boogie 4x10 and I honestly can't tell if the horn is working or not. This is the first time I've had a cabinet with an adjustable horn, so I'm not really sure how apparent it should be when it's working. But when I crank it all the way up and stick my head right in front of it, I don't think I can hear it. It's hard to tell though because the speakers are so bright anyway.

Is there an easy way to test it? If it's not working, what could be some potential causes, aside from the obvious one that it's not plugged in?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Does the cabinet sound good? If so, you are worrying over nothing, really. ;)

3. It sounds better than anything I've owned before. But I figure, I just broke myself for the month to buy this thing. I at least want to have the option of using the horn.

4. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I just looked at a picture of the cabinet on the Mesa website. There is a high frequency level control on the back. Take a look to see where it is set now. It may be all the way to the left which rolls off the horn. Turn the control to the "+2db" setting and then listen. It should be much brighter sounding. If it's not, then there's a problem.

5. That's what has me wondering if it's working. Even turned all the way up, I don't think I can hear a difference. It's bright already, but I'd assume turned up all the way it should be pretty ear-piercing.

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    With your ear up near it you should certainly hear a big difference between off and fully up. Pull off the jack panel and check to see if there is a "light bulb" fuse to protect the horn from damage, it may be burned out.

7. Either your hearing is stuffed or it's not working.

8. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Roll up a newspaper, or use the cardboard center tube from a roll of paper towels, and use it as a stethoscope, by holding it directly in front of the tweeter, and putting your ear on the other end. Fiddle with the tweeter level control while listening, and you should be able to detect a change in the output of the tweeter, as you adjust the control.

9. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Woah! Be careful if you do this! That's a good way to blow your eardrum.

Make sure the volume is way way down, and bring your ear close to it slowly. You may not even need your ear - the tube will probably pick up enough vibrations for your to feel (assuming it's working).

10. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I forgot to add: if you bow your ear drum, you know its working.

11. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    As a general rule, if you are listening to a multiple driver cabinet and can't tell if one of the speakers is working or not, it's probably not.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    With your ear up close to it, you should definitely be able to hear a difference between off and all the way up... If you're not playing with a pick, use one for this test, and make sure your treble is turned up all the way on your bass... If you can't tell any difference, verify that it's hooked up - some people disconnect them...

- georgestrings