1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Capo on a bass??

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Leftybass12, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    This is directed more towards Mr. Manring. I saw you performing in a video on youtube La Sagrada Familia. In the video you were using a capo. I'm inspired to try and imitate/work on bass stuff with a capo. What ones do you recommend? Seeing as I'm pretty sure that there are no capos made for bass.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I use a capo a lot as well - I've got two, both of them G7 capos - one regular 6 string guitar on, and one designed for a 12-string, I think (there's also one designed for classical acoustic that's wider as well, and may fit the radius of your bass well)... best bet is to take your bass to a shop that stocks a few different ones and try 'em out.

I find capos really useful, either full capo or partial capo (using the capo to only cover some of the strings, not the others...)

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    I use a standard Dunlop trigger one that I also use for guitar. Works perfect. Great for when I'm in half step down tuning and want to play a song in standard.

4. Leftybass12

Leftybass12

Nov 14, 2008
    Thank you to both of you for all the info and recommendations. My main concern for it was, can the capo hold down the bass strings, like the G D and A strings, not really the E string. Again, thank you very much info and recommendations.

5. Zander4724

Zander4724

Mar 20, 2008
    UK
  6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi guys,

I have several different kinds of capos (nine, I think at last count) and pretty much all of them work beautifully. There are different features available from the various models, so consider what will work for you and, if possible, do as Steve recommends and give them a try at the shop. Even if you aren't able to try one out first it isn't a very big investment!

7. thecool

thecool

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I also have a capo question.

I want to get a capo for the purpose of covering only the B and E strings. The purpose being that I could have a low "open" string at whatever note I choose without having to manually retune it. Is their a type of capo better suited for this usage or should I just go with the standard variety?

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use capos often. Mainly for chord voicings...I use Kysers, and I notch out for the strings I want to ring open.

_VInce likes this.
  9. _VInce

_VInce

Aug 13, 2015
    That's quite interesting! I have 2 Kysers, a "normal" one, and one where I've hacksawed part of the bar off so it leaves me with an open G (or E) which is good for drones. Your idea sounds much more sophisticated.

10. Pmc bass

Pmc bass

Jul 21, 2015
    There is a product called a spider capo that allows you to capo individual strings. Zander Zon can be seen using this occasionally.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    As sophisticated as an exacto knife will allow me, lol... trust me, it's not perfect dependent on technique / as the strings can at times clack the exposed bar, and rarely go above the first couple frets, but I've had decent luck with what I try to accomplish! :)