1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Care For Spalt Maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wooks67, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Wooks67

Wooks67

Mar 1, 2008
    I've just got my hands on a gorgeous new unfinished open pore spalt maple 6 string bass. :hyper:
    I was wondering if anybody out there had any good ways to keep the wood clean and in good condition? What should I use to treat and clean the wood after I've played with it? The reason I ask this is my other bass has a varnished finish, so I just use my Gibson Hi Gloss polish to clean it with. So I would be grateful if somebody could suggest something to keep my new baby looking great :) Thanks a lot!!

2. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    hmmm....I'm curious on this one. Spalt is some "unstable" stuff given the nature of what it is.

Who made the bass? Did they seal the wood at all?

3. Was my first thought too. :confused:

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Maybe try getting a local luthier to give it a satin finish...I'm not sure if waxing would be a suitable option.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yep.Usually spalt is stabilized before the build. Usually C-A is used to do it.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Crazy Glue? I am lost here....:confused: What is C-A?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yup! Cyano-Acrylate: [SIZE=-1]CH2=CH-CO2-CN[/SIZE]

8. Wooks67

Wooks67

Mar 1, 2008
    The bass is "made" by a company called Hudsons guitar company, I bought it from a company here in the UK http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/hudsonpbs6nop6stringfretted-p-274.html
    Apparently it is made at the same factory were they make Tanglewood and Cort guitars and if you check out the Tabnglewood site then you will see that it is a "copy" of one of their basses.
    It does feel like it has a bit of a finish to it. I like the idea of speaking to a luthier though, so I'll have to find out if I've got one near to where I live. If anybody else has any ideas then they'd be welcome :)

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Ah yeah, I've seen those Tanglewood Curbow copies before.

10. Wooks67

Wooks67

Mar 1, 2008
    Yeah she's really nice.
    I've just spoken to a luthier and he suggested just to use lemon oil?? Will this do the job?

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If the lemon oil will soak in I guess it would provide a mild protection, but I'd still advise caution since it's fragile stuff.

12. Wooks67

Wooks67

Mar 1, 2008
    Uhmm, the shop said just to use a damp cloth! :eyebrow: Any other suggestions??

13. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    hmm...I still don't know. I don't think you want anything that will soak in. Spalt is very "punky".

On unfinished wood, i.e. a Music Man neck, I've always had good luck with Butcher's Wax. This is a wax that takes a set once it is applied and buffed. This adds a layer of protection to the wood and seals it from moisture/humidity etc.

They use it on bowling alleys.

14. Wooks67

Wooks67

Mar 1, 2008
    That sounds like a good idea, the neck on mine seems to be an unfinished ebony, would it be OK for this too? Any ideas where I can buy this wax?? Thanks for all the help :D

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, you don't want it to soak deep into the pores of the wood but you definitely want a nice smooth coat of it rubbed on!

16. Wooks67

Wooks67

Mar 1, 2008
    what about tung oil? I forgot to mention the back of the body is mahogany with the spalt maple on the front of the body

17. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I think he means just damp, as in water, cloth. It sounds like this does have a sealer on it. I had never heard of the brand before so I didn't know if it was some custom "on-off". Being a "commercial" brand though, it has to be sealed.

So, yes, a damp cloth of regular polish would do fine.

Ebony neck? I think it is an ebony boad ...maybe. On the board, you can use some lemon oil or boiled linseed oil. Not a lot though. Put some on with a cloth, let it soak in a bit and then wipe off the excess.

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I would stay away from tung oil like the plague. Man, that stuff gets all tacky and such. Right when you think it has cured and taken a set, the humidity changes and it gets all messy again.

I think you're "over thinking" this. If they said "damp cloth", that's what I'd stick with.
    They wouldn't have told you that if it didn't have some type of finish on it.

19. Wooks67

Wooks67

Mar 1, 2008
    Thanks Hasbeen, I'll just stick to that. I just want to keep her in good condition, you know what's like when you get a new bass, you just want to do the right thing and look after them :D

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I understand exactly. Enjoy her and play her in good health.

Oh, side note: If you use regular, spray on polish, a good tip is to spray it on the cloth...not directly on the instrument.