Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carson Van Osten ???

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 30, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

2. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Yep. I saw the Nazz open for the Doors in 1968 at Randalls Island in NYC. To tell you the truth, I'm more of a Todd fan but CVO is/was a great bassist. "Open My Eyes" and "Forget All About It" both have great bass lines. He's very melodic. Too bad he's rarely discussed on this board.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's hard to convey how absolutely EXCELLENT those bands were!!!
    Plus, it was all wonderful-sounding tube amps at the time!

The "bar" was so much higher at the upper level then, IMO.

4. Just found this thread...I played bass and sang lead in a Philly blues band of that era called The Wright Brothers Band. We played regularly at The Artist's Hut 13th and South in Philly in 65, 66, and 67, and my guitarist, Mark Wright, knew the members of Woody's Tuck Stop pretty well, including Carson Van Osten. He played a Danelectro Longhorn bass, which got my attention because I did, too. Carson split from Woody's to form The Nazz with their newer guitar player, Tod Runtgren...I hear he did pretty well. CVO is a famous artist these days and he is easily found on Google. He was a great bassist...he made that Dano THUMP!