1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin bx500 want to had a cab HELP !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cocoune, May 26, 2012.

1. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    Hey i own a carvin bx500 in to a golight 2x10 8 ohm but i really want an other cab too and i'm asking myself if a carvin brx 2x10 neo will be great with mu golight.

2. Wouldn't know, and would not risk mixing speaker brands/different cabs.

Get another golight.

3. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    The Carvin BRX 2x10s appear to be 4 ohm only, not a good match for your 8 ohm golight. Another 8 ohm golight might be the ticket as Bass_Pounder suggests.

=wr=

4. rhythmrider

rhythmrider

Oct 2, 2008
    California
    I have the BX500 and depending on the gig use it with a variety of cabs.

Small gigs, I use the Ampeg portabass PB210H.
    (not a "thumper" cab, but very light to carry and even tone as far as it goes.

Medium gigs, I use an Avatar 210NEO. This cab puts out and has the classic 210 tone similar to the GK210neo at (1/4 the price)

For Medium/large I use an Avatar 410NEO.

Remember the BX500 safely goes down to 2 ohms!
    Works great with 4ohm cabs.

I was not sure from your post if you were trying to use the cabs together (at the same time) or not.

If you are trying to use them together, then I would go with a single 15" cab.

DP

5. Why ?

Mixing speaker sizes is not good advice.

6. Here we go again. This has been covered soooo many times. If you wish to add a second cabinet an identical cabinet is the safest and most predictable one to add.

7. Who says? There was a time when the 2x10 + 1x15 setup was THE setup.

Folks have steered away in recent times. And it IS generally more effective to match cabs...but there is still validity in carefully executed mixing/matching.

8. The whole concept is based on the myth that a larger cone produces more low end.

Most folk don't have the choice of a "careful execution" when mixing cabinets. It all depends on what is available in their area and the money they have available.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 matched cabs will ALWAYS outperform mixed cabs. 2 of the same equals more than the sum of the parts.

10. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You can't "carefully execute" this type of exercise unless you're prepared to run phase/delay plots on each cab and then compare them closely to see what frequencies will be reinforced and which will be canceled, and to what extent. There are other ways to determine whether a match is suitable, but they're no less rigorous. If someone actually likes the sound of two non-identical cabs running together, it's highly likely the combination is delivering tonal/balance anomalies that just happen to appeal to him where he happens to be standing at that particular moment, and in the room he happens to be standing in at that particular moment.

11. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    I don't think you can make this statement as broadly as you are making it. What you are saying will cause some amps to blow up. Everything should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

LL

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Clearly you have pulled Paul's statement way out of context. He was saying "safest and most predictable" relative to sound/response/delay/phase compatibility, not relative to amplifier load. Also, he wasn't writing a faq to cover all concerns, he was responding to a question that already subsumed an acceptable total impedance load.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In fact, he can. This subject has literally been beaten to death, and the consensus of the experts is, and always has been, matched cabs are always gonna be the safest best.

14. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    Well guys thanks alot but i don't car e if MIXING 2 cabs is correct. I know all that stuff. I just want to know if some one tried it with the golight and the carvin. The carvin is less expensive and 600 watts 4ohms, wich is great for small gigs. I expect the carvin less hifi and more deep than my golight. Mixing them should also put 2/3 of the watts in the carvin cause its a 4 ohm.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The wattage ratings on the cabs are almost irrelevant. Mixing an 8 ohm 210 with a 4 ohm 210 means, as you described, most of the power going to half the speakers. Still not a good mix, even if the 2 cabs do mix well sound-wise,

16. louloomis

louloomis

Dec 28, 2004
    So if the ohm load is incompatible with someone's amp and it blows up then......this is a good thing because the cabs were matched?

I understand the nature of this thread and I am knowledgeable enough about loads - but not everyone else reading will be.

Just trying to avoid anyone having any harm being done by misinterpretation. No condemnation here.

LL

17. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It's nice to know someone else is enjoying their Carvin/Avatar rig besides just me! At first I chalked it up to it being my first high-quality cab, but there is something about the BX500 and Avatar neo 2x10 that just goes together so well. If those together don't provide enough volume, OP, I would try setting the cab on its side with the speakers going vertical....I've gotten plenty of dispersion and cut with it set up like this and the BX500 is small enough to do this with no balancing problems at all.

18. If a person wishes to add a second cabinet we all assume that in the real world he actually can. Thus the advice that I gave.

However your last point is well taken. Even though all this is covered very well here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/a...overunderpowercabs-diy-techtalk-links-166225/

I will say this: If you wish to add a second cabinet an identical cabinet is the safest and most predictable one to add with the proviso that the total impedance does not fall below the minimum allowed for the amplifier. :D

19. cocoune

cocoune

Jan 28, 2012
    Opps, i think i didn't mention than the carvin head can be 2ohms so i dont really understand why it can't be good mixing 2 diferrent cabs with 2 differents ohms.

20. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the tone and balance of the cabs is where the objections are coming from. I am no sound engineer by any means, but the speakers being out of phase is what I've heard for a situation like this where you mix two different speaker sizes. Different cabs will react to the same input differently, whereas two identically designed cabs won't "fight" each other like two totally different cabs. This isn't set in stone, but it falls under the "better safe than sorry" camp of methods.