1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin pb5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by countrybass5, Jul 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Anyone out there playing a Carvin PB5?

2. I'm planning on ordering a Carvin PB5 and was wondering what kind of experience people have had with them.

3. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    I had one, a 5-string with a J bridge pickup and 2-band preamp. It pretty much echoed my other experiences with Carvin -- very nice, well-constructed, and lacking the 'it' factor.

4. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    This is extremely vague...could you go into a little more detail? What was lacking? The finish? The sound? The craftsmanship?

I've honestly been wowed by every Carvin I've gotten my hands on...and they weren't even my customs!

6. Did you try a PB 5?

7. What do you mean lacking the it factor?

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  8. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I've had the same experience with Carvins. The missing "it" factor for me was a personality, something distinctive. I don't know how to describe it any better.

9. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    But...that's even more vague :(

10. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    They are sterile and/or stiff feeling, like a picture of an instrument vs one that resonates with you. I'm not a big believer in 'mojo' or an instrument being 'the one', but sometimes you find a bass that just clicks on all levels and works despite its technical, design, or finish shortcomings. Carvins are like the opposite for me -- there is nothing to dislike about them, yet I generally do not enjoy playing them as much as other basses.

If you want a great tool, something that is very well made and won't fail you, they are great options. But they are somewhat difficult for me to 'love'. And that seems to be a pretty common sentiment among others as well.

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Not a PB5, but a Carvin LB75f was my main live bass for 4 years or so. Excellent craftsmanship and tone. My tastes eventually turned toward more classic-styled instruments and wider nuts but if the PB4 was available in a 1.75 nut and 35" scale I'd probably own one.

12. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't know what the model is (purchased second hand), but I have a Carvin Fretless 5 string and absolutely love it. Everyone who hears it loves it as well. I'm very surprised to see al the "not impressed" comments. To each his own I guess....

13. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I have 2 really nice Carvins, and I have to agree. They are great, well constructed basses with good tone, but there's just "something" missing.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I own two Carvins and love them both. You can custom order them with whatever you want in the way of wood and hardware. I have a 20+ year old LB75 in Hawaiin Koa and a 3 year old XB75 in mahogany with a five piece maple/mahogany neck. Both with tung oil finishes. The elder was my first 5 string and the latter is an "extended scale (35.25")" model I've always wanted. I got big hands... I still gig with the old one but the XB is my current workhorse. NEVER been disappointed with a Carvin product and I got several from basses to amps to in-ear monitors.
    20170727_140314_HDR. 20170727_140423.

15. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I own a PB4 that I picked up new last year, after playing Carvin since the late 90's. I still own three of them. I will say the buying experience put me off from recommending Carvin this time around, and that's talking as a guy who used their basses, amps, and cabs exclusively for over ten years.

It's a good bass that gets compliments on the sound, looks good, and plays well. The sound is akin to a 'hot' P-Bass, like a modded P with an aftermarket pickup.

The PB was DOA for some simple stuff (volume/blend instead of two volume knobs, mis-wired electronics non-functional, truss cover not flush with the headstock), and the fix took longer than the construction period - almost two months. When I got the bass back, all those issues were still present and I ended up taking it to the local luthier, who fixed it in two hours for fifty bucks. The response from customer service was that they were busy and I didn't matter. I didn't even bother letting them know the bass they shipped back had nothing fixed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    JZQuantum and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  17. Wow...I've dealt with them for years and have never had any problems.They have been great to work with. I hope I won't have any problems this time around. This will probably be my last order.

18. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    So you've decided to get one? How are you spec'ing it?

Eric_71 likes this.
  19. Yes,but unfortunately I have to wait until spring before I have the funds.Right now I'm doing my homework by reading reviews. I hope others will post their reviews. I had a 5 string fretless Carvin that I sold so my wife could get a computer...every day I kick myself...I loved that bass...that's why I'm getting another Carvin. I will be playing it through my Carvin amp. I love Carvin equipment and I have been impressed with their service.I give them top ratings for my experiences with them.

Reggiep and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  20. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Cool.
    Will be looking forward to your review. Carvin makes good stuff.