1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin RC 210?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bobrefill, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bobrefill

bobrefill

Feb 22, 2008
    Hi I'm new here. My name is Johnny.

I wonder if anyone has tried, and has opinions about Carvin RC 210? I'm looking for a smaller rig. I now play a Ampeg SVT w/ a 810 cab which I intend to keep.
    I play mostly rockabilly and country.

thanks/J

2. Hey I got one . Its a powerful little amp .
    I've never had a problem . One thing though . I play a 5 string . At high volumes it did not handle the low B very well .
    I found a good used 115 cab and I now bi-amp .
    Sound great !!

3. bobrefill

bobrefill

Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks for your help!!

In fact the guy who's selling it has a carvin 1x18" cab too.

I've never tried a 18" speaker but mabe it it would do the trick for low end?

What do you think??

/J

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I think Gecko 5 may not realize we're talking upright bass here, right?

Rockabilly and country aren't really my bag, but I don't think 18" drivers are real popular these days for DB. Sounds kind of like a recipe for mud and low-end feedback to me, but I could be all wet.

Johnny, maybe you could just start to browse the gear profiles of people who post in this forum a lot. That'll give you an idea of what gear is popular. It's almost always gonna be smaller than your SVT. The cab configs I see the most often are 1x10, 1X12, sometimes 2x10 or 2x8.

I have not played through a Carvin amp myself ... sorry.

5. You're right . I did not realize we were talking upright .
    I do remember when I ordered the amp . the catalog said something specifically about the amp being good for upright rockibilly . I'm sure I remember reading that .
    All I know is for my applications , its a great amp .
    Good luck !!

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Not a problem. Nice Lakland collection. I've got a Bob Glaub and a Joe Osborn 5 myself. :cool:

I also thought that the Carvin Cyclops (?) with a 15 and two 8's might be happenin'. If you could control the relative balance of the 15 vs. the 8's that is. But apparently that model has been discontinued.

I had an Ampeg B3158 for a while with one 15 and one 8. And oddly enough, I liked the tone of the 8 a whole lot better than the 15. You could control the balance of the 8 vs. the 15 which was kinda cool, and they were actually bi-amped. However, that amp has also been discontinued.

7. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
  8. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Hey Johnny, I have tried an 18" cab for URB and Bolo is correct. You are just begging for feedback problems and they are not very articulate, they do produce a good amount of whump though. There's a reason most URB players (including myself) prefer tens and twelves. I've only heard one person play URB through a carvin, but it was a full stack.

9. bobrefill

bobrefill

Feb 22, 2008
    Did a googlesearch on carvin rc210 and found a player named Bill Plummer (http://bassplum.com/carvin.html) he seems to like this amp. Anyone know of him?

I also been looking at the mesa walkabout. Anyone tried it with upright?

Bolo, thanks for the link.

/Johnny

10. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Johnny, I believe freddels (among others?) uses a Walkabout and likes it quite a bit. I don't know how his gigs are split between upright and slab though. You might could send him a PM if you like.

Or better yet, start a new thread w/ "Walkabout" in the title. Folks familiar with the Walkabout may have passed over this thread just based on the title.

Or search this forum for 'Walkabout'. I know I've seen several posts, all pretty positive. The only negative thing I remember reading was a comment or two about the cooling fan which was a little noisy for some people for a genteel gig or a recording situation.

gen┬Ěteel (jn-tl)
    adj.
    1. Refined in manner; well-bred and polite.
    2. Free from vulgarity or rudeness.​

Hm ... Guess #2 means I don't qualify as genteel. #1 too, for that matter.