1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin SB5001 Custom Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Jan 22, 2012.

1. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm looking to build myself a Carvin SB5001. I have an LB75 and I love it. I've never built my own bass so I just wanted to make sure of a couple of things. I'm going to equip it with the standard jazz pickups that it comes with. My dilemma is really when it comes to the neck. I'm trying to choose between a Mahogany neck with 2 maple stripes or a 5 piece maple neck. Also, the fretboard is going to be maple. I want my sound to be as "warm" and "smooth" as possible but I also want the bass to be as light as possible. Is mahogany heavier than maple? Will there be any real difference in tone between these 2 necks? Thanks for your input. :help:

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I believe the 5001 is discontinued, not sure but rumor has it that it is.

3. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's still on their website... I don't see why it would be discontinued. Does anybody else know about this?

4. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    Call Carvin if you're concerned about it being discontinued. If it's on their website, it's probably still available. As far as your question goes, the mahogany will warm up the sound of the maple a little. But from what I understand, with neck through construction the body woods have more of an impact on the sound than the neck woods.

5. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I don't think their is any difference between a Mahogany/maple combo or an all maple neck. The idea is more of a cosmetic thing and some people say that a mahogany/maple or any other combination will make the neck more stable.

I don't know if mahogany is heavier ... you know their is no two identical bass even if it is made of the same wood by the same luthier.

Also ... the SB5001 is chambered bolt-on ... so I think the neck will be heavier no matter what you do, I good strap will help.

6. jkjgiants26

jkjgiants26

Sep 12, 2009
    California
    If you want a warm sound, Rosewood would be better choice since maple is said to be brighter sounding.

7. Maple IS heavier than mahogany. I would go with the maple neck,IMHO. But,that's me. I like that zing in my tone,as opposed to the tone you're describing.

8. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would go rosewood but I haven't had a maple fingerboard on a bass in a while and with the Deep moss green flamed maple top with black burst edges, it was either maple or ebony. The added stability is definitely a plus, and the lighter weight.. I feel like the mahogany with 2 maple stripes really won't take too much of the "zing" out of the bass. Any other opinions on the matter?

9. OP-

I have a question for you. Where did you get all that info on how wood affects tone?

10. If you want warm and smooth, I suggest sticking with the Jazz Bass formula-- Alder body, Rosewood fretboard.

When determining peak resonant frequencies, the density of the wood does matter, but so does the structure of the grain. Hence why Mahogany, despite its high density, has a spiral-shaped grain structure that resonates more in the low-midrange than lighter woods like Alder or Swamp Ash.

But, all in all, the "tone wood" has a less-pronounced impact on your overall sound than your electronics and choice of strings. Nickle-wound strings and vintage-spec pickups would go a longer way toward getting the tone you want than any body wood, IMHO.

11. It is my understanding that the 5001 is still available for order. IMHO, the 5 piece neck on a bolt on is more a cosmetic thing than a tone or function thing.

Conventional wisdom is that rosewood is the fretboard choice for 'warmer'.

FWIW, my Swamp Ash B50 5 string is 8.4 pounds. Maple neck, no cavities. I think the body is a little smaller than the SB. Awesome basses, both.

12. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I read on Carvin's website about the tonal qualities of the different woods. I like the idea of rosewood and it's warmth but aesthetically the maple is going to look a lot better on this particular bass. I also don't believe it could make THAT much of a difference on tone. I was just wondering if the mahogany in the neck would make a difference on tone or any difference in general. It is a lighter wood than alder, so maybe the bass would be a bit lighter? Also, somebody mentioned that mahogany provides a more stable neck? Of course I will have it strung with nickels and the body will be alder.

13. ArcticT

ArcticT

May 24, 2010
    OKC
    Mike, I just put my order in for a 5001 last week and got my post card from them today. I called and talked to them quite a bit before ordering and they walked me through some of my choices based on info from me regarding what I like/don't like. I've heard no mention of the 5001 being discontinued. I went with a swamp ash body and the standard neck.

Here are my specs:

SB5001
    5 S BASS, CHAMBERED BODY

SWAMP ASH BODY

DEEP ORANGEBURST FLAME

MATCHING FLAMED HEADSTOCK

BIRDSEYE MAPLE FRETBOARD

ABALONE DOT INLAYS

STAINLESS STEEL FRETS

BLACK HARDWARE

BLACK PICKGUARD

KNOBS w/ BLACK INLAYS

STRAPLOCKS BY DUNLOP INSTALLED

BLACK CARVIN LOGO

HARDSHELL WIDE BASS CASE, BLK

14. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool man! What made you go with the swamp ash body?

15. ArcticT

ArcticT

May 24, 2010
    OKC
    From what I'm told, it has a little bigger bottom end and stronger highs than alder, at the expense of the midrange of course, but I'm ok with that. Probably the main reason I went with ash is he said it should come in lighter than alder and I wanted mine to be as light as possible. I've never had any problems holding the heavier basses, but it's so much more comfortable for me if they are lightweight.

16. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah man, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a young guy and can handle a heavier bass but why deal with it when you can get a light one? I hear the Ash is a bit snappier and I'm trying to get as smooth a tone as possible. What neck did you go with? I bet that Deep Orangeburst is going to look SWEET! I think I'm going with the Deep Moss Green with black burst edges.

17. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Swamp ash is the lightest wood and great for bodies and maple is heavier than mahogany.
    Ebony is wonderful wood for a fretboard. It seems to me since the pick-ups senses the string vibration the only real effect wood could have is sustain. (IMO)
    In all the years I have been playing I could always make an instrument sound about anyway I needed no matter what the wood. Strings make more of a difference to me.
    What does matter if you play for a living is weight, This became so important to me I was canning brass knobs for wood or plastic.
    I just sold my all Koa LB75F and it weighed 7.2 lbs.
    Have fun with your build!

18. ArcticT

ArcticT

May 24, 2010
    OKC
    I went with the standard tung oiled maple neck. I like the looks of the maple/koa or maple/mahogany but I didn't want to spend the money on that option.

That green is going to look killer.

19. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    With regards to tone/woods etc: When I was in the Carvin store on Sunset I played every bass they had, and by far the most "aggressive" sounding bass was an alder rosewood SB5000 IMO. They had some ash/maple, walnut, mahogany etc. But that alder/rosewood SB5000 was just a beast, FWIW.

20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    This is my experience and what I've read about the SB's.

The 5001's aren't guaranteed to be lighter. When they had them in the "In Stock" section they almost always were just as heavy as the regular ones. I ordered a alder/rosewood SB5000 and it was 8.4 lbs, with is pretty light.

As far as the neck goes, I'd go maple or maple and "insert wood here" stringers. Never had a mahogoney neck and I don't think I'd like to either. Also, maple will look the best with your color combo and in a band mix, you'd be hardpressed to really tell the difference between maple and rosewood apart. By yourself, it will seem a little brighter, but not terrible.

As always YMMV, IMO, IMHO, IME, etc, etc, etc, :)