Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 21, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    so, in a recent post, i said how i wanted a bass in the 700-1400 dollar price range. so... i checked out carvin. they look cool....

really cool. and right in that range.

i was just wondering what people who have em think

cos im a big fan of trying before i buy...

and thats the ultimate not trying b4 i buy.
  2. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    I have a carvin fretless I got used at a Guitar Center. It looks about from 90'-91' from what I can tell from Carvin's site. The pickups have been replaced with EMGs but overall its a very nice bass. The neck is very smooth, came with D tuner, nice shape, sound, finish. I think it's a good bass but I find myself not playing it as much, the whole fretless deal was an impulse buy. I would sell it to fund a warwick but my father wouldn't enjoy that too much. Overall, good bass though!
  3. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    DasClyde, welcome to talkbass! i see you made your first post!

and i love my Carvin. it's a lined fretless 5, and it's freaking great. if you have a local Guitar Center you might be able to find a used one to try out. i found that i don't like the 4 stringer necks, but the 5s are great for me (i think this is because i went from Jazz to Carvin, and Carvin necks are beefier). off the top of my head the neck on Carvin 5s is slightly comparable to Ibanez SRX705 necks. the have pretty much the same numbers at the nut.

sometimes i have trouble finding the sound that i like from my pickups (stacked humbuckers), but once i find it, it's great.

ALSO, the used market is great for the babies.
  4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I have a carvin LB75 Fretless. The construction and playability of this thing is unparrelled in its price range. However, the fretless sound I consider to not be one of the best. It sounds good, but not great. If I could do it all over again, I'd go with a warwick corvette fretless 5 string. I have friend however that has the same bass but fretted. I think his bass sounds great.

I chose the walnut body with the maple thru-neck and ebony finger board. I ended up getting rid of the electronics in favor of bartolini pickups and active 5-band eq.
  5. check out your local music stores and see if there is a used carvin aroudn for you to try, my first carvin was a used, so since I got the same model, only with and extra string and without frets, i had no worrries about ordering my second carvin, also a used one will get you a HEFTY price deduction, don't buy carvin if you aren't intending to keep it forever, there resale value is crap
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    My B4 was crap.
  7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    My two B5s (B5 and B5F fretless) were anything but crap!
    The quality and construction were flawless....and they sounded great!
  8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I would still highly recommend a carvin over most basses in this price range.
  9. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    does that include warwick corvettes?

and higher end ibanez ?
  10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    IMO, yes. I'd prefer a Carvin to either of those. Again, IMO.

I'd consider the alternatives to consider in that price range would be Lakland Skylines, Peavey Cirrus, Rick 4003..... again, IMO.
  11. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    im like in love with the rick cheyenne models

like that. that, or a warwick corvette or katana.

pretty much my dream guitars. i'll never have a need for a bass over 1600. ever.

id be happy with any of those.

or maybe a carvin.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

If it was me, and I could find a perfect warwick corvette 5 string for the same price as a new Carvin LB75, I would buy the warwick simply because I dig that kind of sound. But I own a carvin LB75F, so its obvious what my choice was. the carvin is exceptionally built for its price range.
  13. Oh get over it! :)

I can understand that the first impression is the last impression but your Carvin experience is not typical.

You want to hear customer service horror stories, try googling "Ed Roman". :eek:
  14. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I remember your post and ordeal about that bass...yeap...I remember
  15. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

one of my friends swears by Carvin.
  16. T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    I own two Carvin basses, a LB75 and LB75F. Both basses are equipped with two H50N stacked humbucker pick-ups. In my opinion, they are very flexible tone-wise and good values for the money.
  17. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Has anyone tried their guitars?
  18. velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    Guitarist at church owns a little of everything...mostly high-line stuff...he swears that his Carvins are every bit as good as anything else he as, up to a $1000 more in cost! Just his opinion; but he can obviously afford whatever he wants and owns a 2 of them that I'm aware of.
  19. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Says you. It's HIS experience, and he's allowed to tell and re-tell the story as often as he likes.

And FWIW, my Carvin experience was just as bad. BOTH of the amps I bought from them were useless in less than two years. So from MY experience, I second Snarf's choice of words.
  20. I don't. Rather than just saying it was crap, he should provide a link to the thread where he details what went wrong. This would be of more use to the original poster.