1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Catalinbread Online Store

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Mar 10, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  2. Has anyone been able to try out the Ottava Magus? I know they did an initial release of 20 on ebay, but I was too slow on the draw. I wonder if anyone here was luckier than I was.

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I'm curious about it too. I'll see if I can pick one up and if I like it I'll do some clips.

4. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    :bag: Why must these be posted whilst I have no money. :bawl:

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Interested in that fuzz generator. :O

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I did some clips of it in the Wiki it is a lot of fun but wouldn't be my first choice in fuzz

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    My Ottava Magus is in the mail if anyone is curious to see how it sounds on bass.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I'm curious and if you don't like it ;)

9. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    +1

10. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    What the hell is the Ottava Magus? :confused: Says octave ring multiplier on the pedal but there's no other info. What does it do?

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Octave up fuzz

12. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Oh, OK, thanks. Does it keep the original signal uneffected or does that get fuzzed too? i.e. can it sound like bass plus guitar together?

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Whole signal is affected

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    There's a video demo of it here:

15. whats this like on bass i want one :/

16. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Well I took the Ottava Magus to the gig last night and it got some use on some of our live jam sections. The sound is pretty rad. It's in the vein of the classic Octavia sounds, but with some notable exceptions. Like advertised, it has a more versatile intensity knob and what I really like about it is that the effect doesn't disappear below the 12th fret like with most octavias. Way cool. And believe it or not you can dial in some pretty thunderous bottom with this pedal. In my experience with octavia pedals they're not as bad on the bottom as you'd expect, but this one seems quite good for an octave up fuzz. The thunderous bottom can kind of roll in after the attack though, fine for sustained notes but you might not have it for staccato playing. Worked great with my single coils, more pronounced octave effect with my humbuckers but with the humbuckers you can sometimes get that bass clunk on the attack that you can get with some other fuzz pedals (example big muff). With the intensity maxed you get a nice fuzztone. Oh, and great tracking of the octave effect. It tracks a lot better than any analog suboctave effect, if you're familiar with those. Lots of extra volume available for boosting for a solo sound or pushing a tube amp if you want to. I'm going to experiment more with the pedal and the intensity knob and I'll post some clips when I get a chance.

17. gas