1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cats and amp....the most powerfull attractive force!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Axtman, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    What is it about amplifiers that cats are so magnetically attracted to? It's irresistible to them!

My cat "Cloudy" has the run of the entire frick'n house. She can sleep wherever she wants. There are lots of soft beds, sofas, chairs, pillows, blankets, etc. But instead her favorite spot is on top of my bass practice amp. Maybe she is just a huge SWR fan?

HPIM1286.

HPIM1283.

2. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

My cat is the same, she just loves to sleep on top of my small fender practice amp, she also loves to file her nails on it :(
    BTW you pics are not working

3. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

now they are :)

4. It is the short carpet that they seem to love and I just noticed that it is in the sun light.
    I have bought covers for all of my cabs because I refuse to have them devalued and tore up,I just went out to the auction and bought a kitty tree with the shortest carpet that I could find on it.

5. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    AMP COVERS & tolex. I have the exact same amp & it as ruined by cat fur - I plan on removing the shag carpeting & painting it with that truck bed liner stuff.

6. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    It's warm. Leave it on much?

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Is it you or your girlfriend that does plants? I recognize the moss fill in the planter and the telltale oiling of the leaves. I don't know the name of that plant but she does and we have a few in our house.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Also cool cat, we have some too. Looks like he/she (can't get a crotch shot) is turning it up for you.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    years ago my (ex)wife brought home three feral kittens. we got them homes but before we did one of them decided the best place to sleep was inside my SWR 410 cab. climbed right into the rear port. Thankfully she didn't leave a "present". Very difficult to get a biting clawing struggling kitten out of that port while trying not to damage the speakers.......:eek:

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My cats do the same, but without the rat fur, or warmth of the amp. Nothing matters, only that it's an amp. Very strange.

11. Same for me too, my cat will hop up there when I start playing. I don't know if I should take it as a compliment since she wants to hang out while I playing or an insult since she just goes to sleep.

12. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    ive got my cats on spray bottle control around my gear, my cat zim just LOVES to sharpen his claws on my hardshell. one weird thing, when ever i turn my amp and star going both of my cats just chill in front of the speaker and start sniffing it, very weird.

I also had a cat named timmy (yes he was as retarded as the south park timmy) and he played acoustic guitar with his teeth

13. theavondon

theavondon

May 11, 2009
    Town
    That used to happen to me when I had smaller combos, but now my cats fear my amps. They'll see me pick up a bass, and they just run. It's kinda sad, actually. Maybe I should turn down...

14. DesertCreature

DesertCreature

May 19, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    A solution comes to mind.

CRANK IT! :bassist:

15. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

It's the rat fur that attracts the cat. Lose that and you'll lose the cat's favorite spot I guarantee.

16. A cozy carpeted platform approximately 30 inches off the ground = very attractive place for cats. Especially if it's in a place where the cat can survey a large area.

17. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    One of my cats once crawled through the port into my old Bag End D15B. I didn't know he was in there, but just the electronic pop when I turned an amp on sent him racing out of the cab like his tail was on fire!

My cats have taken a pretty severe toll on rat fur cabinets in our house. Ground level cabinets (monitors particularly) get shredded. The other day I saw one of them climb up the side of a two-cab-tall stack to get up on top, just claws into rat fur. Cats always like to be the highest thing in the room.

18. This thread is making me miss my kitty cat! He's at home while I'm away at college. I can attest to this, as he loves my Crate BFX100 WAY MORE than I do! Haha.

19. Amazing, huh?

Here's my man, Seamus...

3321665228_dcc94b3bf8_b.

...and Hannah.

3188322113_d2c6075f74_o.

20. dalek

dalek

Apr 20, 2009
    Vroom, your cats seem very thoughtful!
    I had a cat that liked to lie over the tv or the vcr. I'd say it was because of the warmth...