Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cello/Bass Duet?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Bassically_J, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Can anyone recommend a good cello/bass duet that would be semi-challenging? Or any good recordings of a cello/bass duet that I could listen to for some ideas?

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Jeremy McCoy has an album out where he plays the Rossini duo. The Rossini is the most widely recognized peice for VC and DB. However you can play almost any Baroque sonata with cello and Bass. In fact, it is common practice for cellists to play sonatas as a duo without piano. My girlfriend plays the cello and we play together a lot.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by semi challenging. The Rossini is very difficult if you don't have the chops for it.

There are plenty of duet books out there for two bass instruments. I'm not sure what you're looking for, but try perusing Lemur's catalogue for bass duet books. I used to play with a cellist for restaurant gigs and such, and these books made for a lot of really great filler.

If you just want to listen to cello and bass, the Bottom Line Duo has some CDs out there are kind of fun.

4. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    I don't know if this is too challenging for what you're looking for, but I have an awesome recording of Klaus Stoll playing the Bottesini Passione Amorosa with the principal cellist of Berlin (can't remember his name). It is originally a bass duet, but it sounds great with bass and cello.
    The Rossini would be a good one also. not too tough...

5. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    +1 for the rossini duet. you can order it, and find out more about it here

6. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    The Rossini Duet is a fun piece. Its a show off piece and consists of a lot of fast scale runs and is very operatic.

There is also a Dragonetti Duet for Bass and Cello that is very pretty.

There is the Elgar Trombone and Bass Duet which is done very often for Bass and Cello and is simple and not very long.

Also, I'd look at some PDQ Bach pieces. They are great show pieces and are so much fun to play. I recently played a gig of a Suite by PDQ Bach for Tuba and Bassoon with the cello playing the Bassoon part.

Handel-Halvorsen Duet is one that is pretty difficult as well as the transciption of on of the Vivaldi Concertos for Bass Cello and Piano.

Good Luck!

7. cold elephant

cold elephant

May 9, 2005
    The Vivaldi Double Cello Concerto in G seems to work quite well on two Basses, and i'm sure you could modify it yourself for Bass and Cello (sibass89 may have meant this, sorry if you did)

8. vartagbass

vartagbass

Oct 23, 2007
    Hi i would like to get a copy of your klaus stoll and baumann passione amorosa for cello and bass cd, i myself want to make an arrangment to be able to play it with the dominican symphony orchestra.

Thank you so much

My email: zivot3@gmail.com

9. vartagbass

vartagbass

Oct 23, 2007
    Hi i would like to get a copy of your klaus stoll and baumann passione amorosa for cello and bass cd, i myself want to make an arrangment to be able to play it with the dominican symphony orchestra.

Thank you so much

My email: zivot3@gmail.com

10. Micromegas08

Micromegas08

Sep 16, 2007
  11. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    WOW! I offered a free nice duet for bass/bass or cello/bass and got deleted!
    Tom Gale
    ASODB.com

12. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    There are a few records out with Bauman and Stoll, they are fantastic, and have a pretty big repertoire. I have two LPs, one has harpsichord, the other is just duo.

13. i recommend the bartok duos arranged for 2 cellos... some are easy, some are difficult

14. there is a book of 6 telemann canonic sonatas, for 2 basses, but could easily be done on bass and cello.

15. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    Sorry - I messed up. I posted the info on the free (and great!) duet on the other question about cello/bass duets further on down.
    TG

16. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005

17. The Mozart Duet in Bb for Bassoon and cello works well on two basses, we did it this semester for chamber. Third movement is killer. All three are fun, I played the rossini and will play it next semester on the side, a lot of fun.

18. pollybassist

pollybassist

Jul 11, 2007
  19. MDEbass

MDEbass

Dec 15, 2008
    Houston
    i'm working on it right now. so far so good

20. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's great.. I didn't know there were arrangements of those for 2 cellos. A friend of mine gave me recording of the 44 duets. Really amazing music there.

I borrowed the Rossini duet from the nypl recently and have added that to the list of things to work on.