Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CF Martin Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 5, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am searching for some information on a solid body electric bass from either the late 70's or early 80's by CF Martin...
    Any information would be helpful. I had one but sold it for something and I really would like to find one again. I do not remember much else about the bass.
    What can I say, I was young and really stupid. :D

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I believe they were sold under the brand name Stinger.

Thats about all I know about them.

danman

3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I remember seeing some CF Martin solidbody guitars and basses sometime in the 1980's. They also come up on Ebay from time to time although I don't see any today. Seems like they sell fairly cheap, probably because they are so ugly. The headstocks look like they had a bad oops while they were being made. Sorry I don't have any helpful info.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Martin had two solidbody bass models, the EB-18 (single DiMarzio Model 1 pickup) and the EB-28 (DiMarzio PJ pickups). They were available fretted and fretless.

Every EB-18 I've seen had a natural finish maple body and neck with a dark fingerboard (rosewood? ebony?), every EB-28 I've seen was a darker wood (mahogany?). Both had a paddle shaped headstock with a dark (rosewood?) cap and a script "CFM" inlaid.

I can't recall if these were set neck or neck through but they were definitely not bolt-ons. Very well made and not cheap (around $700-1000 at the time, same price range as Pedulla, B.C. Rich, etc.).

There were matching guitar models with DiMarzio pickups.

Very well made instruments (no surprise) but they sold poorly and were discontinued after about two years.

The Stingers were cheap (Korean?) imports, Fender style bolt-on neck basses. They were not sold as Martins but rather "Stinger imported by Martin"

5. I have an EB-18 and absolutely love it. The main reason I bought one was because I grew up in Nazareth, PA and even know a few people who work at the Martin factory, but it quickly became my main bass.

It's a set-neck, with a natural finish 9 piece body, alternating pieces of maple with either rosewood or walnut. Badass bridge and brass nut too. My bass has Martin tuning pegs on it, but I know some of them came with Grover tuners.

I believe they were made between 1979-1981.

It is a very well made bass indeed. I'll try taking and posting some pics soon.

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    WOW!! Fantastic! I did not know that much about it. Mine was the dual pickup and it did have the paddle head with a big CFM down it. Also, if I remember correctly the spacing of the fretts seemed to be quite large. Either that or I was younger than I thought. Fantastic :hyper: !!!
    Thanks for all the help. I love learning about all of the stuff I should have never sold :rollno:

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    [​IMG]

whoa! interesting shape.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My brother used to have one of the guitars, exactly like the one pictured below. It was a very nice guitar, and the crafstmanship was superb.

[​IMG]

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
  11. Some pics. Couldn't get a good shot of the headstock, I'll try again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    Had a short fling with one in the 80`s and bought it cheap (about $360 incl. shipping) on pure nostalgia.. It looked very dirty and sad when I got it. But after a wash and polish of the brass, fretwork and some oil into the neck its a nice item to collect..The serial# and article identifies this as one of the early made. My best guess is late 79, early 80...
    Top quality on all parts and has survived the 25 years of neglect nicely.

13. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    my first bass was a left handed martin stinger black p bass copy. all i know about them was mine wasnt too great.

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I would like to find one for sale!!!

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I used to have a Stinger strat, and it was awful. Quality well below current Squiers.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

All the best in getting another! :)

17. bb240z

bb240z

Apr 21, 2008
    I have a black Stinger bass with PJ pickups. Are you still looking for one?

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, since this is from 3 years ago, I doubt it. And I certainly hope you are not trying to sell your bass here, since that is against the rules. Sales allowed only in Classifieds.

19. XweAponX

XweAponX

Jun 20, 2009
    Well, I hope he does not sell it, but it does not look like he was actively advertising it here, I'm sure for trading we'd all go to the classifieds. I think the intent here is comparison.

Sorry for bumping this, but there is a lot of information about these basses in this thread. If you look at the advertising, you'll see that there were slight design changes over the four years these were made. I am not sure but I believe that mine was made the first year: Mine is identical to the one posted by "BlueFlameRick" - Instead of having Jazz-Bass style pickups and the scroll-style tuners, mine has the Badass Bridge, the single Blondie humbucking pickup - Who made that pickup? They need constant adjustment and you can never raise them very high, else they rattle against the strings.

Thank you for that information, my question would be, all 4 years of production, they had both models? By your description, I have the EB-18. I was under the wrong assumption that there was only one model, and Martin had been changing the design each year of pruduction... Kind of like how Lincoln kept changing the design of the Thunderbird until they lost the sleek look they originally had.

Set neck. I am not as familiar with wood as I used to be... Looks like Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard, Walnut over the top of the headstock.

-I'd love to have a "Matching Set"

-Yah, kind of like those "Sigma" acoustic guitars. Well Mine is no Stinger- This is the first time I've heard that Martin farmed out solid body basses.

Mine has serial number 2882- I got it for a song from Moze Guitars in La Mesa, CA back in 2002- It was in such good shape, I though it was a a Brand New solid body Bass series, but then it only had 4 strings, not 5 or 7.

When I plugged it into my Ampeg rig, it was the sound of thunder - I used it live for a while, it works better for live work compared to my 1979? Ricky 4003 which I use for recording.

I am not in the least interested in selling this, but I am interested in finding out if I can get a new Pickup - Mine is developing some cracks.

I've got to say that this bass is a high quality piece of equipment - And I appreciate the information that has been posted here. I am wholly surprised that they made a series of these with Jazz-Bass style pickups, and I am intrigued to hear what they sound like.

I think the best way to describe mine is that it is the big brother of a Gibson EB-0, except that the pickup is not a huge as the ones made for the EB-0.

20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I have a EB 28, picked it up last year locally. It has really grown on me, not the most versatile bass I,ve ever played but what it has it does really well. I would love to find a fretless one.