1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chance for any bass $2000 and under

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MeshMan, May 25, 2012.

1. MeshMan

MeshMan

Apr 7, 2012
    So heres the deal: a buddy of mine is offering to buy me any bass I want under $2000 dollars if I skip my seniority and let a shift he really wants fall to him. Under certain circumstances, I might have to pay back ~40% of the cost to him. But thats not for you to worry about! What bass should I be looking at? I already have a Warwick Corvette Proline (love it) and have been looking into getting a Spector Euro 4. With this offer, I could get a Euro 4lx, which I would have to do more comparison on the sound, but I did like both of them, slight edge to the 4lx.

This bass can be brand new, used, whatever. I prefer active electronics, fretted, 34 inch boards. I am in the market for a passive bass, but I dont think I would want to utilize a deal quite like this for a passive. Also, 4 strings, again, might want a 5 string to play around with in the future, but not gonna waste an offer like this on a toy.

You should all have fun with this so.... GO! :bassist:

2. Forget about the bass: What kind of job do you have where a single shift is worth more than $2k and how do I get it?

joe

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    There are some custom makers who will build you a bass in your price range. I like Ben Lindsey. Why not get EXACTLY what you want?

4. MeshMan

MeshMan

Apr 7, 2012
    the guy just had a kid and the baby sitting bills are killing him. With this shift, he wouldnt have to pay and would make his money back in less than a year. Normal circumstances? The shift isnt worth much.

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    don't do it!!!

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This. The way it reads right now, I can't see any good coming from it.

He's willing to pay $2K for a bass, but you might have to pay 40% of it? Sounds like he's not exactly willing to spend $2K

Not to mention, what if it ends up haunting you because he needs something?
    "Hey...remember when I bought that $2000 bass for you? Well I need _______ right now"

With the babysitting thing, he wouldn't really be saving any money by spending it first.

7. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I agree, do not do it! If the shift is worth that much, take it and save your money. You'll do a whole lot better in the long run. That sounds like a bad deal all around.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Get something that will hold its value on resale. Rics are good for that. (this has all the earmarks of a dealing going bad.... you might have to recoup the money)

9. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Uh, if spending the 2k on his kid in weekly installments is "killing him"....how likely is he to follow up and spend it all up front on you ? And when his plan don`t work out like he plans, you get the shaft. I smell a big fat mess waiting to happen, and you don`t need that drama at work. Avoid this "deal" like the plague !

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I'd order a custom Valenti. Nino will build what you ask, and it'll kill!

11. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I'll be Devil's advocat here. Take the deal. There are several basses out there that can be had for 2K. You could get a brand new Fender American Deluxe 4 or 5 string. I have a 5er and I like it quite a bit. There are a whole host of options in the used market. I've seen Warriors, LowEnds, Lulls, Valentis, maybe a Sadowsky. You could have a great time choosing. Good luck!

12. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    ^ This!

13. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    i'd either pass or take the $2k in cash. if you pass and he really wants it maybe he'll offer 4k.

14. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I am sure that I will get blasted for this, but whatever. How about you just let him have the shift if he is that hard up and tell him to forget about the bass. It doesn't sound like the shift is that big of a deal for you and it doesn't sound like he can afford to part with the $2K either way...

15. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My thoughts exactly. Just be a nice person without looking for something in return.

16. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    ^^ you guys are what's wrong with the world today. :D

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Think karma.

18. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Id say no. If he wants to give you $1,900 cash that could be worth doing. With no "under certain circumstances paying 40% of it back" nonsense.

19. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    so what happened?