1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

changing band name?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by flam, Sep 20, 2010.

1. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    This probably doesn't really need its own thread, so if somebody wants to do something with it they can.

I am in the process of forming a death metal band, similar in sound to a cross between meshuggah, and cannibal corpse.

All the other band members are ok with the name "Hematovoure", but none of them really like it that much.

Any advice of how i can change their minds, or what you think of the name?:help:

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Tell them how dumb I think it is. They'll trust me.

3. mikerophone

mikerophone

Mar 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    change the name.

4. Atnum

Atnum

Jan 14, 2010
    that name is bad, I would forget it the moment I leave this thread.

5. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    If it helps there use to be a metal band in Alabama with the same name and didnt take them anywhere.

6. fingertap

fingertap

May 12, 2010
    google Hematovore.

Yeah, you spelled it differently, but is that enough?

~

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Life's Hematoma...try that one out.

8. I wouldnt use it.

9. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    how do you pronounce that?
    -also a good sign that it's not a great name :(

10. Too hard to pronounce and spell. I'd pass on it.

11. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    The "voure" spelling is a latin reference.

I figured that the general opinion would be against it, i thought it was pretty bad and forgettable too.

Does anybody have any suggestions or advice on how to get the rest of the band to change their mind? We'd like to keep it as one word, preferably something dark or violent.

12. Good band names are like good songs - melodic, memorable, and something people can easily relate to. Anything that is a clumsy mouthful and that most people can't identify with isn't the way to go.
    You want two or three syllables at most, maybe four syllables IF it's a two word name. Something that rolls out of your mouth with a certain musical quality, and identifies your band with a simple image your audience can connect with. Hematovoure doesn't do any of that. A name I've kept in my head for a while, although it's probably been used by now, is Comazone. Easy to say, easy to remember, instant image. Something like that.

13. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    + 1 to all of the below - you want it to be catchy, memorable, easy to spell and, possibly (not at all a requirement) reflect something about the sound/vision/identity of the band.

14. Being in Tampa, you can probably appreciate this. I was in a local classic rock band for many years. When we first got together, we struggled for almost a month to come up with an agreeable name. More out of desperation than anything else, we settled on Gunn Highway, a relatively major Tampa road.
    As it turned out, we couldn't have done better. The name didn't really identify us as anything in particular, maybe country or country rock if you gave it a second thought. What we did get was instant name recognition, mostly due to the morning traffic reports on radio and TV. Even if no one had ever heard of us, they thought they'd heard of us because of that. And that included club owners, so we launched pretty quickly because of the illusion that we were already established.

15. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Y'all realize this is a death metal band we're talking about, right? "Catchy" is not a term I would use to describe most death metal band names I've seen. By its very nature, this is not a band that "most people are going to relate to..." so I don't think the band name has to be something the masses will find appealing. It has to be something death metal fans would find appealing.

As for the OP's question about how to change the bandmates mind....if it was me, I'd just tell them all the reasons why I thought the name sucked (assuming I felt that way) and would present them with some alternative names to consider.

16. Megadeth. See how it works?

17. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Oh, and make sure it's not used already by someone else.

18. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Well, yeah, then just think "easy to remember" instead of "catchy". Death metal or not, you don't want your name to limit you to one particular audience or box you into one particular style.
    Because, who knows, one day the band might have the opportunity to cross over to a larger audience. And that's not going to happen with a name like I Drink From Satan's Chalice. ;)

19. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    yeah, Gunn Highway was a great name - easy to remember, nice local resonance, and transportable if you had worked in other areas. Fitting for rock, country, altcountry, etc.
    Local place names have worked out well for even big bands - Chicago, Boston, etc.

20. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Show them this thread.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021