1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing pot specifically db750 mid

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spencer, Sep 28, 2009.

1. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    I most likely will be getting a db750 soo but the mid is a low mid and I much prefer the 750hz mid in the 751 but I'm not paying for a new db751. How hard could it be to change a pot inond of these? Couldn't possibly be that hard and is there a certain type I should look for?

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It won't be a pot you are replacing. At a minimum it will be a capacitor. I would try to contact Aguilar - they might be willing to upgrade it for you.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's probably a lot more than one capacitor, since a midrange control is bandpass. Very likely not a DIY job for other than an expert.

4. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Shi...

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I hear alot of guys are running an Aguilar Tone Hammer before their DB750's to give them more control over the midrange.

Definately not a cheap solution, but you get some other cool features along with it.

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I"m curious if you've looked into swapping out different tubes for different midrange characteristics. You can alter this amps inherent tone by doing this. Plus, have you experimented with leaving the amp completely flat and then trying different combos of gain/master level?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    *cough* TONE HAMMER *cough*

8. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Yea but if you the amp costs that much there's no reason you should gave to spend more on a pedal. I really leave the eq flat and just use bass preamplifier for most stuff, but I have come to like a big boost in high mids for sone songs it sounds good but it's the only time I'll touch the eq

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Exactly why I said at a minimum. ;)

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

+1. Sweepable midrange=a good thing.

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll echo the tonehammer or any pedal with sweepable mids. In addition to the Tube Change.

Both have made the DB750 the longest amp I've ever held onto.

I do run a lot of pedals always on though...:meh:

12. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There is a reason to spend more on a pedal if you've bought an amp that isn't capable of doing what you want :meh:

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think anyone really denies the limitations of the amp, but what it does it does better than any other amp I've tried. And with the limitations in terms of mids, like everyone has mentioned, there are ways of mitigating them. I think buying a tonehammer or a sansamp or para eq would probably cost less than the shop fees for redoing the mids in the amp, especially if you buy used. With the tonehammer, you get grit/sweepable mids/another DI for that price included too.

I love the Tube Swapping in my DB750. Really lets you see some neat changes from tube to tube. The JJ's I have in the V1 really "opened up" the amp. It really made the Mid Knob (all of the tone stack) more usable. But from what I've heard from other users, is that most changes to the V1 do help in this department.

A 12AX7 is $7.99-$80. The JJ I use is $9.90 usually.

14. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm always suprised at someone saying that the DB750 is somehow lacking in midrange. Maybe its just me, but I've never said to myself 'man I wish I had more midrange' when using the DB750. IME the tone of the DB750 set flat and with the gain at 2:00 and master between 7-12:00 depending on the room, I always get a thick yet clear sound that sits perfectly in the mix, no matter if I'm using a Pbass/URB/MTD/Sadowsky/etc. Now, while I generally go for a more old-school fingerstyle tone, I've also had other bassists use my current rig who have more modern tones and it sounds equally as great.
    IME at least.

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    For me it was never lack of midrange. I'm happy usually setting it flat or at around 11:00 on the dial. I think people take issue with the fact that you can't notch to their liking. The DB750 is a mid beast.

16. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    +1

17. and another +1

18. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

I love my DB750, I love the tone I already get from it. I have been tempted though, to try a Tonehammer for the extra gain, sweepable mids and grit. ( I play a passive J)

Tempted yes, do I really need it? probably not. That amp continues to put a smile on my face as recently as last night's rehearsal. :smug:

I agree that it is not mid shy, and I play through a pair of 15s.