1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chapman Guitars Bass -Open for pledging, 20 places left

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JLAEST, Jan 25, 2012.

1. JLAEST

JLAEST

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi,

Surely you know Rob Chappers, guitarist from Monkey Lord with a huge channel on Youtube. He has his own guitar brand, Chapman Guitars, and they collaboratively designed with the youtube community 3 guitars: ML-1, ML-2 and Ghost Fret.

Guess what? They're know designing MLB-1, the first bass of the brand. However, has most of his fans are guitarists, he is looking for 100 people that are interested in the bass to vote for all the specs. These people must pledge 50£ (around 70-80$) in the end of the voting for the manufacturing process to begin. However, if you don't like the result, you can quit and you won't pay a thing.

It is nearly there, there are 80 now and only 20 places left. I think they ship the guitar worldwide, so if you're in the US it shouldn't be a problem.

Here's the video Rob made about it:

The Chapman Guitars MLB-1 - Searching For "The 100" - YouTube

You can also visit the forums, where people are pledging and talking about the specs:

Chapman Guitars | Monkey Lord Forum

Hope you like it!

(I am in no way involved with Chapman Guitars, just another pledger, and thought that TalkBass would be a good place to find the people we still need. Anything you want to know you'de better ask in Monkey Lord Forums).

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Countdown to thread deletion....10...9....8.....

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Based on the above, I'm not seeing this as spam. I'm not sure about the pledge stuff, though so locking this thread for review.

4. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm reopening this, not as an endorsement of any kind, but because it does not qualify as commercial spam given its source. I've never heard of Rob Chappers.

5. JLAEST

JLAEST

Jan 12, 2009
    Hope now it is read the way I wanted people to read it. Its just giving an idea to anyone interested in a bass designed in a different way, and as I've found here many opportunities (including one that is on my side, an MTD Artist bought thanks to a post here) I was trying to also give other people this opportunity.

6. Well, FWIW, I read it as a solicitation. You've pledged your money and therefore have an interest in seeing the project come to fruition, so I see it as an advertisement - drumming up cash for something you want to do.

Anyway, the mods have spoken. Have at it.

7. JLAEST

JLAEST

Jan 12, 2009
    First, the cash is not given in the beggining, this pledge will only be paid in the end of the voting.
    Second, I had only in mind what I've discovered in this forum and I was interested in giving others the opportunity to discover new things. Quite frankly, it will get to 100 people with or without TalkBass members. I don't care about that, I was just giving an opportunity and wasn't expecting such an hostile reception to a project like this.

8. I'm not looking to start an argument, but I hardly see the reception for this being hostile.

I'm not going to speak for mmbongo, but I've merely explained why it seemed like an advertisement to me (we need people! we need money!), which is why I linked the Rules/FAQ in my first post. That's it.

Mod Perry gave you the green light, and that's the word, so like I said...have at it.

9. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I just don't see the difference in this and the 'other thread' about the 'custom item' that was being built exclusively for the people who financially support this site, which turned ugly quickly.

I'm not against anything in this thread...but if we can have this, why can't we have that?

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Surely I know who ?

From what ?

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    At first it sounded a bit shakey, but I have to agree with both the OP and our Mod: this is interesting opportunity. I would like to know what the potential price range of the final product would be.

12. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Again, I'm not endorsing it...I don't know anything about this and can't say whether it is or isn't a good opportunity.

Personally, I don't get the appeal, but that's in part because I don't know the guitar brand. I'd rather just buy something I like (at whatever price point), not pledge to buy something when I don't know what the specifications will be. But, again, I don't know the brand.

The OP is excited about it and wanted to let TB members know about it. As far as I can tell, he's not connected financially to the outcome, so I wish him well.

13. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Yea sorry, my sentence structure wasn't very good. I meant I think you made the right call about leaving the post up.

Additionally, I agree with the OP that it is an interesting idea and a possible opportunity for those who are interested. I'm not in the market for something new, but I was curious about how they come to a final price and what range that price would likely come to.

14. Wait so im not quite understanding.

I pledge to give $80 to these guys to have some input on a bass they are building. If i want it at the end, I put down another down payment to reserve my new bass? And if I dont like it then im down $80? Maybe I misunderstood, but that doesnt sound like too hot of a deal.

I totally dig the idea and uniqueness of it all. And would be interested if I knew more about it. And I may just me misunderstanding here. So can someone clear this up for me? I mean, hypothetically, I dont wanna pay for a fender and get a squire. You know?

15. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Surely I've never heard of Rob Chappers before

16. LB75Player

LB75Player

Dec 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    It really comes across like they're trying to get 100 people to pledge enough money to pay for the development costs of a new instrument and are trying to make it look cool by saying the "pledgers" get a say in the spec.

Sorry, but this is going to be a disaster. Try getting 100 people to agree on a bass without any money involved and see how that works out. Add pledged money to the equation? Total disaster....

17. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Ned Steinberger and Emmett Chapman already make a Chapman Bass.

:confused:

[​IMG]

18. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    maybe he means when you get the bass.. "I'm chapped, man :scowl: "

sorry, couldn't help it.. :meh:

19. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    OH is this the guy that makes the Chapman Stick? Well that's cool!