1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chapman MLB-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AshInAmsterdam, Jan 7, 2016.

1. I was very keen to try a Chapman guitar before I left the UK a year ago, and still haven't had the opportunity, but I was especially keen to purchase (almost contemplated ordering one without trying it) the Ghost Fret, which is quite a beautiful thing to behold. I procrastinated over blue or black (surely you'll understand why when you see them) for long enough that the GAS passed and I subsequently became a bassist primarily...

Which leads to the point of this post - Chapman have released their first bass. I like it. Collaboratively designed by 100 bassists, though in a controlled manner that they explain in the video, it sure looks pretty. I'd like to see it in different colours than natural, cos that's not really my thing, but I'm still leaning towards finding one!

Chapman Guitars Ghost Fret

Chapman Guitars MLB-1 bass

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The bass sounds good.

The two guys are really annoying.

3. Neil2094

Neil2094

Mar 24, 2014
    Watched the video last night. It sounds fantastic, but then Dave could make a 2x4 with a nail through it sound good. I live quite close to Andertons (their main stockist?) I might head down there and give it a go.

pudgychef likes this.
  4. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I'd be interested in trying one out. We've got a dealer here local in Denver I might have to go visit.

The 8" fretboard radius is pretty interesting. I actually prefer it round like that, anywhere between 7.25" and 9.5". I dig that they made enough room for a preamp with controls.

Stainless steel frets? 5-piece Neck through? Wenge/Bubinga? Pretty awesome. I kinda like the controls too--blend or dual volumes.

That bass player seems good but I hate it when reviewers go nuts on the slapping. I play a fair amount of slap myself but I want to hear what the bass sounds like more in other playing styles. Slap doesn't work for the majority of music I'd say, even if it's fun and can sound awesome in some genres.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. I believe the Captain is involved in Chapman Guitars, and certainly they stock them! (as do Thomann over this side of the North Sea!)

6. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Nice bass. I would consider it for a future purchase. Someday.

I like Dave's playing. Rob can be over the top but he seems like a good guy.

AshInAmsterdam likes this.
  7. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Wanted to revive this thread, anyone pick one up? Just stumbled across this bass today, seems to hit all the points I want on my next bass.

8. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I'd give one a try for sure

9. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    drives me batty...also the talk to playing ratio is way out of whack - PLAY IT - fingers, pick and slap...

10. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    for anyone keeping up with chapman, I happened to see on their website that an MLB1-5 is coming out...not sure when, but a 5 string seems to be on the horizon!

11. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    just checked the website to see any news that might be coinciding with NAMM, and there are no longer any MLB models on the site at all, but he did comment on youtube that four models are coming out at NAMM, so stand by!

12. IMG_0335.PNG IMG_0336.PNG IMG_0337.PNG

I'm in love.

13. Yeah the fanned fret is sexy. Ive been digging into the world of fan fretted basses. Have a dingwall on the way and I figured if I like it a lot I might pick up another more affordable fanned fret. Problem I see with the Chapman is the price. If it were a couple hundred cheaper I’m sure they’d be pretty big sellers but they are up in a price range where they actually have a lot of competition. More and more companies are making fanned fret basses now. Used to be only novax and dingwall. Now there’s Ibanez, esp, keisel, and newer companies like acacia guitars are making fanned fret basses new in America for less than a lot of these companies imports.

14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I find "Chappers" to be the more annoying of the two. He reminds me of one of those self pitying charisma-nerds that always tries to hug all the girls in a given group of people for a bit too long. :rolleyes: An absolute legend down at the local Games Workshop branch. Awkward, thinks he's gregarious enough and generally doesn't know when to pipe down. I've played music with that sort of guy and their guitar skills tend to match their personality; domineering, gibbering and a bit one-dimensional if technically proficient.

Chappers and the dreadlock'd dude do a good line in... errr... contemporary accessible metal with a blues edge? Black Stone Cherry without the groove but with a bit more skill? Who knows.

And like all good Youtube celebrities, I'm always left thinking "Yes.... and?". Beyond his Youtube content he's in a weird pop-djent band bringing CrUsHiNg ToAnZ to the masses. Yet their output doesn't really compare to the many thousands of hours of him and the Andertons dude dicking around with guitars and practicing their 3rd-rate comedy routine. :sleep:

Craig4003 likes this.
  15. I like them.

Spiritbro77 likes this.
  16. True.

I guess this is differentiated by its neck through design, interesting woods and high grade top wood- all difficult to find on the basses competing in the 'combustion' area of the market.

I would love to spec a kiesel vanquish with fanned frets, or grab one of the 2018 Ibanez models (then upgrade the pickups)

Nephilymbass likes this.
  17. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Anymore info on these Chapman basses?
    I've never heard of them before, but I picked one up today in GC and loved it. It's the first time I've felt "at home" on a 5-string. Super comfortable neck, lightweight with a fairly small body, sounded pretty good at low volume (didn't wanna crank it in GC). Seems like a pretty well-made instrument. I just don't know much about em.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021