1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Charlie Haden Bluegrass

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by D McCartney, Sep 21, 2008.

1. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
  2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Wow, that's right out of left field!

3. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
  4. Interesting.... I didn't know Sam Bush played guitar! :) I'm assuming that's a typo. I only know him as a mandolin player. I am also surprised to hear that Jack Black is married to Charlie Haden's daughter and has two boys by her. Last I knew Black was with fellow comedienne Laura Kightlinger... I guess I need to brush up on my People magazine chops.

5. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I had a chance meeting with Charlie, to say the least, right after he had done this album here in Nashville. Sat in with the guitarist with my bass, was very gracious, and told about his recent project here. The way I heard it about his daughter, Jack had just broken up with his girlfriend and contacted Tonya, with whom he had gone to school. They started dating and soon after married. He sings "Old Joe Clark"on the CD, the first ever country tune for him. Charlie's son, Josh does "Spiritual", a song he wrote for the great duo with Pat Metheny. The album comes out tomorrow.

Ike

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, not really the first. This is the music of his childhood, his parents had a "family band" kind of radio show along the lines of the Grand Ole Opry, but regional to the Ozarks. I did a 3 week master class with him in the 80s and he played a recording of him singing "Ole Shep" when he was about 5 years old. THAT was probably his first country recording.

But this music is in his blood.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Sam's a good guitar player and Bela Fleck is a killer flatpicker too, but the biggest surprise for me was Emory Lester - he smokes on ALL the bluegrass instruments, including fiddle! :D

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, he does play guitar and he also plays fiddle.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    He actually wrote it for his rock band Spain. Then Charlie did a cover of it.

10. As has Johnny Cash and many more. Amazing song.

I find it kind of funny that Charlie wrote a tune for the Liberation Music Orch. also entitled "Spiritual" back in the day...different song, still good though.

11. Delightful interview. Hope he gets the "Bass Player of the Year" award at IBMA next year!