Charlie Parker Omnibook

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Don't_Fret, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Does anyone have the Charlie Parker Omnibook for Bass Clef, or for C instruments for that matter? I've recently gotten into studying him and this book seems to be the most extensive one I could find, but it's out of print. If anyone knows of a more recent collection of his solos that is as good or better, let me know.

2. effclef

Feb 15, 2004
    Florida, U.S.A.
    That book repays serious effort. And it will take you all over the fretboard.
  3. I also am interested in Charlie Parker but I am learning it for the bass lines behind the melodys. But Also I am learning the melodys, cause that makes writting walking lines that fit better. Any way, If you can get your hands on someones Eb(alto sax) book then you can use it!... How you ask?

Well... it is easy, Just read the charts as if they were in the bass clef and add 3 flats to the key. So if it is in C+ for alto then it is in Eb+ for you. so if it is in E+ for alto, then it is in G+ for you. just with a little thinking and perhaps a little editing to the notes then you can do it.

good luck!!!

4. It's out of print? That sucks. Definitely a great practice tool. It does a few things for me. I'm already a pretty good reader, but all the accidentals and odd intervals would be good practice for that as well. Actually, it's still good reading practice for me, because he uses such rhythmic variation and displacement in the phrases. Particularly, in the melodies there are a lot of accents that you have to think about to get right, and phrases starting in weird places in the bar, and so on.

1) you are forced to play in different positions on the fretboard, and use weird fingering patterns. You will really deepen your knowledge of the whole neck. There's a difference between being able to say nth fret of X string is Y, and being able to play a line as easily in the 7-10 frets as in the 2-5 frets.

2) you play enough of it, you start playing "Parker-esque" figures automatically.

3) the songs are often supposed to be played very fast, so it's good practice to get them up to speed.

4) When some hotstuff sax player calls a CP tune, you can say, "Mind if I take the melody and first solo?"

If you can find the C treble clef one, get that, and learn to read treble clef as comfortably as bass clef. I promise you this is a great skill to have.
  5. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    there was one for sale earlier...
  6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
  7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Yup Joe, thanks. I received it yesterday. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me. :hyper:
  8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Great!!! I'm glad you got what you were looking for. Good luck, and have fun! ;)
  9. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I just ordered one too. I have the Eb version, however I'm too lazy to transpose it.

It was invaluable to me when I was learning sax and this thread just reminded me of it and how it can help my bass playing. Just playing the lines slowly will help your phrasing and improv. Then work on getting them up to speed for your chops :)