1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap Dean Bass Sighted Sir! Ready, Aim....FIRE!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 2, 2010.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    [​IMG]

Every time I go to Guitar Center, I see this Bass hanging up brand new for $120, that's cheaper then the Squier Bronco Bass!

Well, Lil 'ol me decided after seeing this bass everytime I go to the guitar center, on my last visit, I took her off the wall and plugged her into an Ampeg tube amp through an ampeg 8x10 and she sounded AMAZING!!!

I then wanted to see if it was just the Ampeg talking, so I plugged it into a MarkBass combo, I think it was a 1x12 or something and the bass still sounded nice, too nice for the price!

What I liked about the bass was the neck was nice and thin like a Jazz neck (I'm a Precision Bass fan but I can adapt to slim necks), and the fact that the tone knob actually DID something as I was able to get a nice variety of tones with the twist of the knob. The pick up does not hum either which is a plus :) .

No it isn't a super duper "take on the forces of evil and avenge the righteous who struggled against the hordes of tyranny" bass. I respect it for what it is, a decent "plug it in and rock the show, unplug it and go home" bass. I like it and at this price point, I'm suprised these things aint flying off of the shelves! I'm gonna get it now that the rent is paid! :hyper:

Have anybody else ever played this bass or own one?

2. I played one and was suitably impressed by it...and I own an alembic.

3. Dean makes great stuff and all but I have no repect for a company that would whore out Dimebag and his death like that. Congrats either way sir. Good, cheap basses are a slice of heaven

4. Need2KnowBasses

Need2KnowBasses

Aug 30, 2010
    I've been impressed by the cost/quality ratio of Dean's lower end offerings. If you want one I recommend this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GFQGK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You save $35 and get another pick up. If you are concerned about Amazon quality I wouldn't worry. I have ordered many basses from them. Most are in better shape than they would be in most local shops. If there are any issues returns are easy or you can get them to discount the item for any blemishes. I just scored this in an unopened factory box (not a refurb or b-stock) the other day for $139.
    100_0005-1.jpg
    Dean Edge Q4 Amberburst. Plays great right out of the box. The string aren't the freshest but it's probably been sitting in a box for a year or more.

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I can understand that.

6. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Dean's "marketing" of Dimebag's legacy aside, they have really stepped up their game in the past few years in terms of quality.

I have a USA Hillsboro Jazz that is just amazing. And I've heard good things about their Hillsboro imports.

I had an Edge a few years back and it wasn't the best playing or quality bass. Not at all what I was expecting. So I was hesitant to get the Hillsboro. But when I tried it out, I was very impressed with its sound and quality.

7. gggb

gggb Guest

but this has no style.

8. bassslater19876

bassslater19876

May 30, 2010
    Yep. Dean XM Zone bass, I used to own one.
    I wasn't fond of it, but, it was a starter bass for me.

9. I have this bass.
    I hate it.
    That is all.

10. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i've been using a pair of Dean Edge Q 6's for a year or so now. good, quality basses. with a professional setup they are very decent for the money.

....... my Dingwall 6'er i have on order better blow them away tho.

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the one we had must have cost another 50 bucks, because it had a bass booster too

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    whore him out? what a crock! you've got zero clue what you're talking about. dimebag had a contract with dean that HE signed. the only reason he ever went to washburn is because dean quit making instruments for a few years. once dean got back into it, dimebag went back to them. so not only are dean not "whoring him out," they have every legal right in the world to use his name, and dime would have wanted it that way. i'm sure his estate gets a healthy chunk of change when one is sold. or would you rather his family be forced to leave all that money on the table because some moony eyed fan thinks it's whoring him out? hey, capitol records still puts out john lennon music and he's dead, too. is that whoring him out?

honestly, some of the utter nonsense that comes out of people on here completely amazes me.

13. Still love my Dean Metalman ML and V - outfitted with a 40DC's for good measure. Paid $50 for both in a GC clearance sale back in '07.

The stock fretjobs were bunk, but a little touch up and they were good to go.

Attached Files:

14. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Heard a guy playing one at a party a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised how well it sounded.

15. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    Bingo. we got one of these in my store and I was blown away at how well it played, sounded, and felt.

16. I've got an Edge Q4 that is one the most reliable basses I own or have owned. The thing is in tune like 99% of the time. Has a great tone and sustain that lasts thru tomorrow. I play it just as much as my Fender Precision Plus. I'm even looking for a Dean Stylist bass to add to the collection.

17. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Hmmm, whay don't you like about it?

18. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Not liking the look of it.

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I like the understated elegance of it's aesthetics.

20. JimmyM, A little mad aren't we?

When Dimebag was alive they made quality instruments with his name on it. Even the entry level washburns were nice, I own oine. Now Dean is pumping out all these ugly, crappy bolt-ons with fake Dimebuckers and they always sell it like "Celebrate Dime's legacy with this piece of junk!". Now they're slapping his name on garbage amps so stupid kids will go out and buy it. Dime probably wouldn't care about it, but maybe he would. Mick Thompson got pissed off at BC Rich for making that horrible Warlock enough to drop them.

MXR, DR, Dunlop, and Krank still sell their respective Dimebag gear. They didn't change spec at all or try to use his death as a selling point. I can go into the dozens of other dead guys with a "Tribute" guitar and it's one or two models, which the artist would gladly play if he were still alive.

Dime's current living family is his Vinnie Paul, who is doing just fine with his own ventures. Rita was his girlfriend so therefore entitled to jack and she's about 3x worse than Dean with using Dime's death to her own benefit.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Selling an artist's music when they're dead isn't whoring them out in the least. If Capital released a series of cassettes called the "We love this dead hippie" collection it would certainly be on par with what Dean is doing.

Then leave.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021