Cheap Singlecuts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Jul 8, 2008.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I was wondering, how come you never see a fair priced singlecut? I see Foderas, Warwicks, but never anything cheap. Why doesnt a company like Ibanez or someone make an affordable singlecut for the people, like me, who cant afford one of the previous stated. Is there a company that I havent yet stumbled upon? If so, could someone put me in the rigt direction?

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Benavente has an affordable singlecut out. It's the Standard, I believe, and I've heard they are really great basses.

3. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    What do you consider *cheap*? There are those that build that think two grand is cheap. What is fair pricing to you?

4. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I don't think warwick makes singlecut's, give them time. Cheapest I've seen is the Benavente SCD you can get them for about $1500 new on MF or about a thousand used.

Edit:Lorenzini beat me to it

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Rumor had it at one point that Ibanez was making a singlecut. The most inexpensive singlecut on the market is going to be the Benavente Standard. www.benaventeguitars.com

6. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Why? because they are ugly and don't interest the average bass consumer. Seriously more affordable instruments have to sell more. Something about singlecut doesn't scream out "versatile look" much.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Because they can be more work to make... but I am surprised that the most affordable one out there is still the Benavente AFAIK. It really shouldn't be much harder to do than a neck through and there have been affordable neck throughs for years now.

Maybe it's a conspiracy.
    :smug:

BTW the Les Paul body style really isn't in the same vein.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Did you mean Warriors?

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    The real cost lies in finding woods of the proper quality in pieces large enough to make a single-cut body.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    The bassist for Joe Bonamassa definitely was playing a Warwick singlecut... I asked him to play it. Thats the only way I know for sure. Well, by cheap I meant 1k or under, but it doesnt seem that way.

11. Kennethfaria

Kennethfaria Inactive

Mar 12, 2008
    If anything it'd be easier to make a single cut bass. Less to cut = easier to make.

Conspiracy.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

Elrick, Fodera and most of the hot boutique builders command $4000+++ for thier singlecuts.

$1500-2000 is very expense for a bass IMO but the Benavente seems to be very well recieved compared to the heavy hitters and is "cheap" in comparison.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Not really. An inexpensive one could be painted.
    :cool:

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Good thing you can close your eyes and listen.

15. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    The object of the exercise is to create a larger body-mass and longer contact-patch between neck and body.

Gluing random chunks of wood together toward this aim just doesn't work nearly as well as the real article.

Face it, kids ... some things just have to be done properly.

16. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    good point but if they don't look very ergonomic either and what necessarily would mean it sounds good? You can get a great sounding bass that isn't singlecut also. That said I hate how the custom, or boutique market is basically dominated by Singlecuts and jazz copies, for 4 string atleast.

Anyways thats besides the point for under 1000$ do you really think your going to get that premium sound too? i mean the singlecuts will be less common, less production so the cost cutting has to go somewhere. Unless of course they are going to sell a lot.

IMO I rather have a great sounding bass that has a more mainstream look then a bad sounding singlecut.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Did you get a pic, I've only seen mock-ups on the Warwick forum?

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Funny, I thought the object was to look like a singlecut.

:D

Where did you get the idea that you had to glue random chunks of wood together? Why do you think that would be worse than having a center block with two wings, the most common way of building neck throughs?
    :meh:

19. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I agree with you mostly.
    But...the custom market isn't dominated by Single cuts and jazz copies. Those are popular. If it's Custom, then they choose it. Ya know?

Point 2: It's the player. Not the gear ;)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021