1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choosing Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulP, Oct 2, 2009.

1. PaulP

PaulP

Sep 29, 2009
    Hey guys...first post here! First I would like to make clear that I am a guitar player (31yrs and counting...God I'm getting old!) and need a bass for my home studio setup. I have done a fair bit of homework and have found a few basses locally that interest me.

1. Ibanez SG SR700-surprisingly a very nice bass. Appr $699 plus case. The SR500 is all mahogany version and also pretty nice. Appr $550...it really can hang with some of the more pricey basses. Great bang for the buck I think.

2. NOS Warwick Corvette-Bubinga, Ovangal/Wenge, active electronics. Blowing it out at $899 w/gig bag...this thing list for $2050/made in Germany (not the Rock Bass). It def sounded the best out of everything I played (A/B it for an hour or so against the SR700 although it wasn't as clear cut as one would think)..and that was a lot of basses (poor music store guys..lo). The downside is that it weighs a metric ton and is a bit more than I set out to spend.

3. Used Warwick Corvette-this is a maple body version w/actives. Killer blue finish but has a some dings/dents ect....nothing really objectionable. I think this one also has a wenge neck instead of ovangal. Sounded very good although perhaps a bit more high end which would make sense considering the maple body..can't A/B with the Bubinga Vette because it is in two different shops. I think it is an 04 model. price is $899/w gig bag.

4. I have been offered a late model PRS Bass by a friend who acquired it a few years ago directly from PRS for a particular studio project and it has sat in the closet unused since. He's a pro and has other endorsements so this bass is simply not needed. Going to check this out later today. I don't know the specs on it yet but I am sure it would be a fair deal $$ wise. The opinions regarding this bass around here don't seem too complimentary in general, but we'll see.

Ok, so I opinions are like..well you know (vbg)....but a little feedback may help a little. I am honestly leaning toward the new Warwick Corvette but it was little more than I wanted to spend on a bass but I really would like a quality instrument if I am gonna spend any $ on a bass. I would like to hear what you guys think in general. All these are local which is a big help.

Thanks,
    PaulP

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    What style(s) of music is the bass going to be used for?

3. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Good price for the Ibanez. The SR700 would be great for noodling around in the studio every once in a while. If it going to be used quite a bit I may step up to the Warwick because of its better quality, honestly 899 is a steal. What kind of music will you be playing? Not into the Fenders?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I don't know how far you are going with the studio thing, but if it were me, I would get the Ibanez AND a used Mexi P bass. Then you would have two different kinds of basses to toy with for different situations. And you would still not have $800 in them both. Even better, check out the TB classfieds or your local ads (CL?). You could probably find both for under $600 total used.

5. Get the warwick, maybe even the used one if its in good condition.

I have no idea bout the PRS bass, but the Warwick will hold its value more so than the Ibanez I would think.... plus the warwicks sound really wicked.

6. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    +1 on checking the classifieds; so many new basses are posted in there everyday.

7. P-bass!
    PJ if your nasty!
    and flat wound strings

What kind of music are you playing?

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Don't know if you know this or not but, the only difference between the SR500 and the SR700 is the 700 has a figured maple top. Everything else about the 2 basses is the same. IMO the tone is identical also.

Since you're a guitarist of 31 years I'd imagine you know the rest of the drill. Play a bunch of different basses then go with the one that sounds and plays best to you. Just like you would a guitar.

9. PaulP

PaulP

Sep 29, 2009
    Well I go from the blues of Jimi/Stevie to Van Halen/OZZY ....and everything in between. May even venture into the modern funk stuff...some of the stuff I heard TM Stevens doing was way cool..and heavy!

The recording setup is a Pro Tools 002 rack stup with a MAC. Still getting it all worked out. I plan to recoed direct as of now but I haven't rulled out a bass "rig". I actually enjoy quality bass playing and can hold my own but want to "do it right" and want dig and and learn to play "bass" like a bass player...not a guitar player playing bass. There is a difference. :D

Oh yea, I have found that I really dig active pickups on a bass. Not that passives sound bad (that is silly) but seem to gravitate to the actives in general.

Casanova I have A/B the SR500/SR700 quit a bit and found them to be similiar with the 500 being a touch warmer and the 700 having a bit more "sizzle" but the difference is subtle. I actually think it comes down to individual instruments when comparing those two models. I did play a SR700 that really sounded muted, but for whatever reason it had Elixers on it ( a new guitar so go figure) and in that case the SR500 sounded way better. All the others I played sounded very good. I like the finish on the SR700 as it seems like it would be less prone to dents/scratches ect. The Mahogany is very soft....but it is only a small consideration.

PaulP

PS-yea the Warwick does sound wicked!

10. PaulP

PaulP

Sep 29, 2009
    I am also watching the classifieds but would really like to be able to play bass "x" before buying. Just my experience in general. But I have not ruled it out for the right deal on whatever.

PaulP

11. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    TB Classifieds, keep in mind-when some of us were your age, we had newspaper classifieds, or local stores and no Internet. Enjoy your quest, lots of us are happy with a MIM P Bass.

12. if you are going "direct" a sans amp bass driver/di will liven up your sound a lot! or a tube mic pre like the ART tubeMP will add some girth and fatness to your direct signal.

i would love to see some pics of that PRS bass, i will bet it's pretty nice!

13. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Blues, hard rock, recording direct, your first bass - to me, everything screams:

P-BASS

14. PaulP

PaulP

Sep 29, 2009
    Yea I have a tube pre and was gonna pick up a sans amp as well. I really haven't given the Fender Basses a good looking at recently as my ear really likes the stuff with active electronics....not too mention fender is just stupid with pricing these days..at least on the six string side of things. And i really think that fenders are much less consistent than others IMHO so i would be much more leery about buying one online. If I was gonna spend more than 1K I would seriously consider a Music Man as well.

PaulP

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Warwick Corvette. So versatile.

16. PaulP

PaulP

Sep 29, 2009
    Well spent more time playing basses today and have come to some decisions....the Ibanez is out. Compared to the Warwick and........wait for it......the FENDER P/Jazz bass it was "tinny" to my ear. It became very apparent after I plugged in the Jazz bass. The fenders all have their signature sounds as does the Warwick. Not sure which I like better as I played a few different Corvettes..both passive and active. The Warwick loves the slapping thing. Notes just ring for the neck like a bell. The fender is just a workhorse....get dirty and work it in kinda bass.

Honestly I made more out of the active vs passive pu thing than I should have. I could always go active later on if I bought a bass with passive pu's and felt the need. The only real prob now is that I have raised the bar yet again $$ wise!:rolleyes: Ah well, it's just money..lol! (the wifey is gonna love that part! Her reaction will most likely be.....:eyebrow:) The Music Man Sterling is another super killer bass as well....just mo money!

PaulP

17. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Bubinga Warwick... end of discussion with the choices given. Underrated versatility and a fantastic value at that price.

18. PaulP

PaulP

Sep 29, 2009
    haven't ruled it at this point......gonna go play it again tomorrow.

PaulP

19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Not to hijack this thread but... PRS makes basses!?

20. PRS basses look weird as a monkey in a trenchcoat :)

i have heard only a few things about them, but to me they fall into the 'parker fly' category of basses........ cool guitars but fail as basses.

if it were my cash id have to say one of the warwicks, whichever fits you better.