Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chords for "Rhode Island is Famous for You"?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Tbeers, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Usually I'm pretty good but some of the chords of this chart are stumping me. Anyone?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sounds like somebody enjoyed that Pizzarelli gig...

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah it was a lot of fun.

I sort of want to do my own arrangement of the tune for big band and female vocalist. But I am thinking of writing in a sax soli and having the singer scat along with it. Then the brass comes back in with the head and the soli is repeated under it. I'm not sure. I've never actually finished a big band chart before... the most I've ever successfully written for was a string orchestra.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    T, man...why are you encouraging a singer to scat?

5. It's not clear to me what you mean. You have the chart but the chord progression seems illogical, or you don't have a chart and you're trying to figure out what the chords are?

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The latter of the two. All I have is one recording by Blossom Dearie and another by an a capella group called Clockwork.

There are a few measures where no chord I can come up with sounds right. Arghhh.

7. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I uploaded an audio file of a soli that I transcribed with my bass line underneath it. Does everything... sound okay? I guess this is not a piece that would be well-known around here.

http://tsbeers.home.comcast.net/Soli.mp3

8. Do you want me to guess which measures? Are you asking for help or just venting?

9. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Measure 12 sounds a bit off. Any ideas?

Other than that, I'm sorry to have wasted anyone's time with this thread.

10. I've played this song with a singer that I work with on occasion. It struck me as rather charming, both the lyric and melody. I looked through all of my books and recordings but don't seem to have it. I'll see if I can download the Blossom Daerie and see what's up.