Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chris Squire

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, is he as good as he is made out to be? I heard some of his stuff today and it was jsut slidey fuzzy stuff, bit like Chris Woolstenholme out of Muse.

2. Have you heard his phenomenal lines on "Seen All Good People" (W/ YES)? He is often mentioned by Geddy Lee as being one of his major influences as well. I havent heard his more recent stuff, but the guy was a maniac back in the day. I have heard that he was primarily a pick player, which makes no difference to me...only a few of our puritan bassists may think it lame. However Im not sure if its fact or fiction, perhaps we can get some further clarification on that as well?

3. yeah, but Squier has been doing this way longer than the muse guy.

Listen to some live Yes , youll hear some of the funkiest bass lines youve ever heard of.

4. But how can I tell my dad he's good? I have argued for ages that he ain't as good as Flea(just to piss my dad off). I can't back down now, noooooooooo ;-)

5. Theres plenty of room for both! I guarantee if you asked Flea about Chris Squire youd hear nothing but repect! Flea is VERY awesome in his own right...Id be happy to play even a little bit like either of them, lol. Make peace with your dad and spin some discs of both of them for him!

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Comparing Chris Squire and Flea...? :confused:

Man, talk about your apples and oranges argument. It's like trying to compare Stevie Ray Vaughn and Allan Holdsworth: you just can't do it, though each is a master in their own right.

7. go get the Yes Union video and listen to Bill Bruford's interview...he talks about Squire's 'immaculate' bass work.

I mean, if you can't believe Bruford...

Have you tried learning the bass line to, say, Sound Chaser from Relayer??

Squire's approach is 180 degrees from Flea. I look at Squire as having more of a 'classical' approach to the bass, where Flea is pretty much all about the funk.

I like them both, but if I had to pick one, it would be Chris.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I highly recommend you get YES' "Keys To Ascension" DVD, Squire owns that whole show!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This thread makes me want to pee... in a bad way.

10. OK, gimme tab, time for me to show my dad jsut what I can do on bass(he loves to tell me i'm**** to piss me off, but if I learn a Yes song, he'll have to eat s*it).

11. ha ha, tab for Yes. Good luck!

12. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    HAHA! Yeah.. Reading tabs will show him how good you really are.

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Ok we're done here.

Squire is one of the few bassist I've seen live that completely blew my mind (and I've seen some good ones).

If tabs are used as a stepping stone to learning, they serve a purpose....

Nick, congrats on the attempt to mature as a bassist! 2 of my favorite lines to play from Squire are "Heart of the Sunrise" or "Starship Trooper" or "And you and I"

and I'm locking this.

14. When I can play it it'll be awesome. And why shouldn't I find tab for Yes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.