Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chuck Rainey...just jaw dropping

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funkzfly, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Listening to Kid Charlemagne by Steely Dan, it makes you wonder why you picked up bass...so in the pocket, yet funky as hell. Peg's equally as great, though I just prefer Chuck's sound on Kid Charlemagne...a bit more depth to it, despite the fact both tracks were recorded direct and with the same bass!

Anyone out there got any Rainey favourites? Feel free to include yours, whether it be a 'Dan tune or not :)

2. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Those are humbling tracks. "Kid Charlemagne" is an unreal display of killing syncopations, and Jamersonesque grooves. On "Peg", his line is the hook of the song. One take, what a monster, genius player. He's one of my true heroes.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What bass was used to record Peg?

4. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Absolutely Eric!

@ Superduck, pretty positive it was Chuck's '57 P-Bass direct, strung with rounds with a fair bit of compression :bassist:

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My personal favorite Chuck Rainey line is "Dominoes" a pop song he did with jazz trumpter Donald Byrd. The main riff uses some awesome tenths that really blew me away when I heard that song as a teenager.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    All of Rainey's Steely Dan tracks are great...add "The Fez", "Don't Take Me Alive", "Josie", "Your Gold Teeth II", etc.

Also, Rainey on any Quincy Jones' project...tunes like "Theme Fron The Anderson Tapes", & the little heard/known ballad, "What Good Is A Song"(from the OOP I Heard That! album).

Then there's Rainey with Aretha..."Rock Steady", "Long & Winding Road", etc.

...and with Roberta Flack/Donny Hathaway("Where Is The Love?").

And Eye To Eye's debut album(produced by Gary Katz w/ most of te Steely Dan sessioneers onboard)...tunes like "Nice Girl".

My favourite player since about '75 or so.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love Chuck, and I really do feel that he is severly overlooked...

I have a Hotlicks videotape with him on playing a Streamer Stage II (it was made in the 80's). Right at that moment, he made me fall in love with that bass, it's an on-going affair!

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    "Green Earings" has always been a favorite track / groove from Steely Dan.

9. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    chuck does some really amazing stuff on the 'fritz the cat ' soundtrack
    its a robert crumb animated film with the greatest soundtrack.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    One of the reasons I picked up a bass.
    A true inovator.
    Herby Mann PUSH PUSH CD.
    Chuck Kills on it.

11. He tears it up on his custom Mike Adler 6 String basses!!! He's such a cool guy too! ;)

JT

12. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    i have that on vinyl somewhere--cool record--some of that has Jerry Jemmott and Duck Dunn as well--- I think some of it was recorded in Memphis....Also Herbie Mann's "Memphis underground" record Has Mike Leech, Gene Chrisman, Reggie Young and all those great Memphis guys on it (like the Dobie Grey and Elvis stuff of the same era--very cool to hear in a different context)....
    Also obscure Chuck: Larry Coryell "Fairyland" ---a live trio record w/Purdie. Larry's bascially shredding (and singing!!!), for better or worse, with those two grooving behind him.....very wierd

13. So many good ones listed already. I'll throw in "Until You Come Back To Me" by Aretha and Grant Green's "Cantaloupe Woman."

14. rotero

rotero

Feb 25, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Green Earrings is SICK
    Rock Steady is the definition of PULSE
    Push Push is phenomenal

Chuck and "Pretty" Purdie are unbelievable. (and indivisible!)

All of his Aretha tracks are sublime. Go get 'em!

15. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    The theme from Sanford & Son is a gem..

16. polo515

polo515

Feb 27, 2006
    NYC
    Try to find the very rare Chuck Rainey Coalition album. I brought it with me for him to sign at at workshop years ago and he said he hadn't seen one in years. Great from first cut to last, the ultimate Chuck...

17. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    "Josie" - man, when I was a little punk rock kid, my bass teacher put on that tune. Of course, I was like, "I HATE Steely Dan." But he made me listen to it, then we worked out the bass line, and that was it. Since then I have been a HUGE Steely Dan fan, and a HUGE Chuck Rainey fan. As far as recognition is concerned, I am going to go out on a limb and say Chuck is probably very happy right where he is...on call, and respected by his peers. Otherwise, he would have tried to put together "The Chuch Rainey Band" or a put out a ton of solo albums. He is what we should all aspire to be...the kind of bass player who plays for the song, yet still makes you go, "Wow! Did you hear that two measure lick he just did underneath the vocals in the chorus?"

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For the last couple of years I've been working on a book on some of Chucks most pivotal Bass lines(over 30)transcribed that will feature footnotes on the lines and what they mean to me.the book is finally close to completion.and this book was done with Chucks blessings.

Chuck does have a band that played out quite a bit the last few years,mostly in Texas.

19. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Glamour Profession, off of Steely's GAUCHO album.

Dark disco.

20. rnlytton

rnlytton

May 23, 2003
    Naples, FL
    I'm probably not as familiar with Chuck Rainey's body of work as most of you, but when I first heard him on Quincy Jones' Summer in the City from the You've Got It Bad Girl album I couldn't believe the super-tasteful line he played with the double stops. This was as eye-opening to me at the time (1973) as the first time I heard Jaco play Donna Lee (1976).

Richard