1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cincy GTG 2013

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by jamesczar, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jamesczar

jamesczar Brother James

Jan 13, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    So, since we're already talking about it in the 2012 Second Chance thread, I thought I'd create the new thread, since I just got back to a computer.

StreetScenes has offered up AIC College of Design again. It was a nice place, though I wouldn't mind somewhere that serves adult refreshments.

So, have at it, gang... I just thought I'd help get the ball rolling.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Subscribbled.

I have nearly changed my whole set up and added a couple basses, included a fanned fret Dingwall.

3. I am in. And so is my 1943 Kay m1 I picked up!

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Beat me to it Brother James!:cool:

I'm in as well. I have my new Clement and guess I can bring my D-180 and 15 too. Maybe have my new Clement fretless by then otherwise I can bring my 76 fretless P bass.

5. I'm in. Don't have anything new bass-wise but did pick up a new guitar. :bag: It's always fun getting together and seeing everyone.

6. jamesczar

jamesczar Brother James

Jan 13, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hopefully by the time we get around to the GTG, Justin Kennedy will be done with the upgrades on my Jazz 5, and I'll have that to show off, like a proud pappy. Otherwise, I don't have anything new to bring.

Anyone want to start throwing out dates?

Locations? AIC College of Design was offered up again.

7. Willis music in florance offered to host it last time but they don't want people selling things. So if you kept selling on the down low that would work to. They have a large performance area we could use.

8. How about April 14th. It's a Sunday.

9. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'd love to join up as well for the first time. I've got some fun I can bring (an Orange TB500 head and SP212 cab, an epi-tbird upgraded with a hipshot supertone bridge, epi EBM4 I converted from Active to Passive with Bill Lawrence P/J's, an 04 american jazz with S1 switch...etc). :bassist:

10. Willis would be a good option as well. The have a nice back room/hall area. A ton of food options around.

11. That's wear i was looking at last time. They had 2 options. Private event for 50 bucks. Or public event free. They just weren't real keen on people selling stuff. But heck I understand that!

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    How about noise restrictions?

13. I could call and ask. It is a performance hall so I am sure it can get loud. The big problem with the place is unless we get people to pony up the fee. Any Jo blow can just come in back there.

14. RadioactiveGuy4

RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm down! April 14 works for me.

15. jamesczar

jamesczar Brother James

Jan 13, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Just spitballing here... but, would it be so bad if non-TBers wandered in? I mean, we'd all have to keep an eye on our gear, but I wouldn't be too worried. (we wouldn't publicize it outside of TB, so wanderers would just be people who happened into the store that day...)

We could just make up a few "do not touch" signs.

And you guys with the really cool stuff get to show off to some folks who may never see that level of gear!

Just sayin'...

OR

We could go another way and make this a bigger meetup (Willis has the space), beyond the boundaries of TB... put out some free ads, spread the word around some message boards, Facebook, etc. Invite Cincy-area bass players to come... maybe we can draw some cool new people to the TB ranks? Very frequently I talk to good bass players who (amazingly) don't know about TB, or don't know the depth of the resources here.

I'm not pushing for either thing -- just throwing it out there as options to be considered.

16. plong123

plong123 All Your Bass Are Belong To Us

Nov 19, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    I will try to make it down from Columbus. The 14th is a good a day for me as any other. Any other Columbus area TBers want to carpool, I've got a minivan, PM me.

Clarification: if this is a Sunday, we're talking about an afternoon thing, here, right?

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I did a GTG in Atlanta at a venue (the FiveSpot) back in 2004 and the great thing is that it was during the day, clinics, jam sessions and it had a full bar! The only down side is that outside folks were able to come in and steal a bass that is laying out on display.

18. I'm going to make it to this one by hook or by crook.

19. Ditto

20. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    Subscribed. I'm in just lemme know a day and time :)