CITES - What every bass player should know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Thank you man that was actually extremely educational.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. madbass6

madbass6

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Thanks for sharing! Wow that must really suck to have you're pride and joy confiscated for god knows how long ! I guess i REALLY lucked out as I went every where with my custom 93 Modulus TBX 6 W/Brazilian COCOBOLO TOP!

Attached Files:

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    GregC likes this.
  4. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    Someone needs ho hunt these animals to extinction and cut down every single one of those trees. After all, you can't protect what doesn't exist. Problem solved.

5. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    You are touching on the reason I moved from Seattle to a 32 care farm in central KY after 46 years in the former.

I never owned guns. Now I have a bunch. Mostly for food and protection. Were in an open Cary state.

The interesting part is that I don't like guns. I do, however, understand the price to acquire and preserve personal freedom. And my goal will not be to slice off an ear.

savofenno and goff like this.
  6. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    Animals go extinct every day. Lots of them - with and without man's help.

savofenno likes this.
  7. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    This thread is getting cuckoo! Lol

8. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    Yeah. When they get interesting, people really get into it. I've noticed lately that about a third of the threads I become active in eventually get closed.

I think the point of this thread was that cuckoo things are going on.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    savofenno and goff like this.
  9. Basspolizei

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Boo-Yah !!!!!!!!

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    This thread is being permitted because it directly deals with basses and how traveling/shipping them is affected by these rulings. The further real political and/or psychotic conspiracy theory aspects aren't what this thread is for. If you absolutely cannot contain your political feelings on the matter, or feel you must scream them to the world or the illuminati might come to steal our protective tin foil hats, please feel free to address these concerns to your nearest brick wall, because they ain't gonna fly here. More than enough warnings have been given- it would be a shame to shut down a useful thread because some people can't control themselves, but it's what will happen if this continues.

savofenno, squeakyd, Binary1 and 5 others like this.
  11. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    *sigh* So dramatic, so many condescending assumptions. No matter how you try, you're not going to drag me into the political side of this.

A bassist who needs to cross the border next week or next month for a gig or whatever knows full well that even if he completely disagrees with the law, he's probably not going to get it changed by then. That is who this thread is aimed at, and *that* is not political.

Said bassist is still free to try and get the law changed in the meantime. (Believe it or not, people can do two things at the same time.) But that topic is quite obviously political--there are plenty of places to discuss that, but last I checked, TB isn't one of them.

ever, Jim Carr and peterpalmieri like this.
  12. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    If CITES is to affect any real change in the trade of contraband sourced from endangered species they'll need to turn their focus to the sourcing and distribution of said contraband. The resources used to inspect personal property and confiscate said property on mere suspicion that it contains contraband of this nature are completely wasted. If this effort and consumption of resources were instead reallocated to address the core issue - to stop the sourcing and distribution of materials sourced from endangered species (i.e. enforcement at the root of the issue) - then perhaps we would see meaningful results.

13. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Too often laws and policing are just a very highly profitable make-work project for those who make laws and enforce them.

14. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    There has been a continual reminder in this thread that to stay open it needs to be focused on bass players or musicians functioning legally within the legal system and not a policy debate, which in short order leads to a political debate..

Albert Vickers, GregC and StayLow like this.
  15. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Thank you. My apologies.

peterpalmieri likes this.
  16. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Check that. Thank you :)

17. Matt Bowen

Matt Bowen

Feb 22, 2016
    Massachusetts
    You can only carbon date specimens from before July 1945 (the first nuclear detonation in history) because the average about of radioactive carbon-14 in the atmosphere has artificially risen due to human nuclear tests.

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Not to be a contrarian, but that is not correct. See the data at this link: Radiocarbon Dating and Bomb Carbon - Beta Analytic
    Resolution of carbon-14 dating is not really fine enough anyway.

In any case, I agree carbon dating of instrument materials is not going to happen.

savofenno likes this.
  19. Basspolizei

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Maybe? But unless you can actually testify to those conclusions you are working on assumptions alone like most. I can actually prove that the money gained by any law enforcement in the US doesn't actually benefit directly the agency itself but only benefits the "general fund" of that agencies controlling government head unless the local DA grants them those monies from seizures. Hence the name, "General fund."

20. Albert Vickers

Albert Vickers Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Vélez-Málaga
    Wrong!

savofenno and blkpwdr like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.