1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

CITES - What every bass player should know

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turnaround, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Then, it would delay the purchase for approx. 45 days and that is actually bad for the sellers in the USA who could lose potential buyers from Canada. Thanks for your prompt answer! Club Bass in Toronto are the best !!!

2. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    that is easy : where are the notes on the fingerboard

3. MatMeyer

MatMeyer

Feb 26, 2016
    Hi, I'm a bass player from Chile (South America) and will be traveling to the US in August. I'm planning to purchase a used bass there. if I carry the bass with me in the airplane (meaning, no shipping couriers overseas), can i still face trouble at customs if the bass has a rosewood fretboard?

4. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Based on my understanding - you might be in trouble if they do check: what you've done is bought a bass in the US, then are exporting it to your home-country.

I don't think it's relevant that you carry the bass with you on the plane, rather than shipping it; in either case: you've bought a bass in the US, and intend to transport it out of the US. This constitutes "international trade", and from what I understand, CITES would apply.

Happy to be corrected by anyone, if i've got it wrong.

Jim Carr likes this.
  5. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    With the exception of Brazilian Rosewood, the new CITES regulations do not apply to personal instruments. They only apply to commercial transactions. Since you purchased the bass in the US, it would now be your personal instrument and you should not have to worry about CITES when you go back to Canada (unless you get a wacko customs person!).

GregC and Tom Bomb like this.
  6. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Voice of reason ^

7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I think if a Canadian goes to the U.S. and buys a new bass, it's still technically considered importing when he crosses the border back into Canada.

Your other observation (about a wacko customs person) has been at the center of my gripe all along with CITES. Instruments made with CITES-regulated materials are supposed to have a passport, for which there is a cumbersome process. Ideally, the passport process would be very user friendly, making compliance easy and therefore universal. And there should be instrument passports available for every instrument, regardless of whether an instrument contains CITES materials or not -- because the nature of CITES is to grow the number of included materials, so instruments that have no such materials now may very well have them in the future, without any changes ever having been made to the instrument.

8. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Good luck finding a customs agent who can tell when a piece of rosewood isn't Brazilian. :D Assuming that the burden of proof is on the bass owner (which I'm pretty sure it would be), the problem is that we are at the mercy of people who are generally clueless about wood but have absolute authority where border crossing is concerned. :eek:

s_wood, ajkula66 and Jeff Scott like this.