Clamp-on bridge mute?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Sep 19, 2009.

1. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    Anyone ever heard of such a beast? How cool would it be to have something that easily attaches (clamps?) on to the tail of your bridge, and has an apparatus that leans over the strings with a mute so you could take it off and put it on easily. It's an idea in my head - never seen one - but find it hard to believe no one has come up with this before...

2. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    I've seen these before.... mostly built with an adhesive side that went on the body & then flipped up to meet the strings, similar to the old Music Man bridges.

There was also a fretless tool like what you describe - a thin sheet of metal came down to "buzz" the strings and make it sound fretless. The guitar version was called "Ragamaster" and was supposed to make it sound like a sitar.

3. Some sort of ashtray on hinges with felt glued to the inside and some sort of latching or magnetic system (if it doesn't interfere).

4. I would be interested in such a device. For now I just use a marble-sized wad of Blu-Tack, I roll it between my hands to elongate it into a caterpillar shape and then squish it onto the strings in front of the bridge. Not as attractive as an actual piece of hardware but it's instantly applyable and removable.

5. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    I've seen some Foderas with a pad for each string to mute it. I'd love to have something like that.

6. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  7. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    Yes! That's it! Glad to see they're still in business, though I'd love to see someone make a bridge with that so you don't have to tape anything to your finish or drill new hole in your bass (though an odd size bridge will leave its mark on the body just as much as double stick tape) after you've had it on for years).

8. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    NOW we're talkin'. VERY cool. Muchas Gracias, Senor Cocinero! :D

9. I have an upcoming Cliff Bordwell 6er with a Bassmute attachment. Very stoked!!!

10. maguire

maguire Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2010
    New Hope PA
  11. Pussy Cat

Pussy Cat

Apr 26, 2016
    Have a look at the Bass Mute Clamp. It works VERY well and is reasonably priced
    See it here:
    bassmuteclamp.com

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I like it so much I'm buying another one. Adjustable, unlike the Fump...what a joke that is...I just wish it came in red or green or blue, etc.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021